Muddy Fox Pathfinder rear axle size

Sam.Marsh

Retro Newbie
I've recently got my hands on an old muddy Fox Pathfinder in a very nice bright blue. I am looking to get a new rear hub and this one is knackered and was about to order a 130mm hub which I'd got from a post here from someone else's pathfinder. I thought I'd measure just in case and it seems to be 135mm.

Can anyone confirm which I should order? Did the pathfinder change to a 135mm axle or am I making things up?!

I'm not entirely sure on the year I'm afraid.

Hello Sam, I don't know for sure but if your frame is spaced at 135mm then ready-built replacement MTB wheels (or MTB hubs if you're going to build or get a wheel built) will probably be easier to find/ be more widely available as 135 was the more recent standard.

What it comes down to is what drivetrain are you looking to use/ keep on the bike? 7 spd? Has it 7 spd shifters in place? Other?
If so then any let's call them 'classic' retro 7 spd hubs/ wheel will do the job - usually spaced at 135.
What is/ was the original hub? That could help.

Have you Googled Muddy Fox Pathfinder 198* through to 199* to find any images of your exact bike or catalogues that contain it? You're likely to find the original spec there which could lead you to the original spacing.

There may be little merit in setting the spacing smaller (if it was indeed originally smaller) unless you simply have to have a 6 spd freewheel set-up for originality's sake for example.

Measure the frame drop out. If its 135 hub in a 130 frame you will see it. Was the 135 hard to get in or out / in? ( unless its been cold set....but lets no go there).

Also, when you say knackered, how so? Could it be saved with new bearings and / or cones?

Back