What hubs should I look for

Glob

Dirt Disciple
Hello,

So, I purchased an early 90s Specialized Crossroads to build a commuter with 28inch wheels recently and I thought the rear spacing was 135mm but it appears to be 130mm. So I’m on the market for a wheelset for this frame but it looks quite rare to find nice 90s hubs in a 130mm axle.

My ideal would be some 90s XT or LX but im not sure which one I should be looking for because I also want it to have a 9speed free hub body.

Thanks for your help,
Cheers

For starters any road hub would do - Ultegra is basically identical to XT, 105 to LX.
However it's a trivial job to dismantle a hub, saw 5mm off the axle, fit a 5mm thinner spacer and reassemble. You can even buy the axles for less than a fiver (Cyclo). The wheel will then need a minor re-dish - about a turn off the drive side spokes and onto the non-drive side.

I assume by 28" you mean 700c?

If early they would have been Araya rims with 300LX hub circa 91, (well hg50 iirc) 300LX would be all three sizes (126/130/135), and it's a road style hybrid frame, 130mm seems reasonable.
Or just bend it out a bit to 135mm.

For starters any road hub would do - Ultegra is basically identical to XT, 105 to LX.
However it's a trivial job to dismantle a hub, saw 5mm off the axle, fit a 5mm thinner spacer and reassemble. You can even buy the axles for less than a fiver (Cyclo). The wheel will then need a minor re-dish - about a turn off the drive side spokes and onto the non-drive side.
Yeah I don't really have the tools but maybe I'll get a 135mm wheelset and try because it's much more easy to find it appears

I assume by 28" you mean 700c?

If early they would have been Araya rims with 300LX hub circa 91, (well hg50 iirc) 300LX would be all three sizes (126/130/135), and it's a road style hybrid frame, 130mm seems reasonable.
Or just bend it out a bit to 135mm.
Looks great but gonna usa a 9s cassette

Back