MTB to tourer

gred1":v9r7xtty said:
really info everyone - thanks a lot
You are most welcome. Can I ask, what kind of trip are you planning?

Also, I'd like you to know that thanks to this thread I've spent most of this evening looking at cycle touring pages on the internet and wondering if the wife and kids could do without me for a couple of months ;)

A couple of month would be something...
I've cycled for a long time but never toured and now in my 50's so am going to start with a week here and there in the uk with a mate and follow on into europe in may of next year - thinking of Sardinia but still planning...

Re:

As someone already said, don't overcomplicate it. Whatever bike you already have, it's probably good to go.

I cycled from Shimla to Leh, with passes over 5,000 mts, no mechanical support, terrible roads, and blah, blah,... with a 25 year old mtb I bought used for 30 EUR and tuned up to leave it on 85 EUR total. The bike did the job as intended. This is it:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=327613

Other guys with retro mtbs converted into touring in this forum:
viewtopic.php/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=334997

Remember, the less you spend on the bike, the longer you can make your trip last! (and the less you worry when you lock it outside to check out that cool monument/restaurant/river or you check it in the airport)

amazing - and sound advice
will post again once bike is built and will keep it simple
cheers for now

Some great advice on here and some terrific achievements on fairly basic bikes too, but if I were to play Devil's advocate I would ask whether there is not something in having the nicest/lightest/most fit for purpose bike one can afford/finance for such a trip? I appreciate there is compromise in every aspect of choosing a bike for any application but you are going to spend a long time on a bike like this, and ask a lot of it. Obviously I approach this from a bike-nerds point of view and I love any opportunity to convince myself I need a new bike for some made up purpose or specific niche.

Back to the OP's question, the Team Marin even without the braze-ons for racks can still make a great touring chassis, as people have mentioned you can usually get a rack to work, or you can consider using the new Bike-Packing stuff that does a great job of distributing stuff, and therefore weight, around the bike.

Re:

Rod_Saetan":1rrdwj90 said:
I would ask whether there is not something in having the nicest/lightest/most fit for purpose bike one can afford/finance for such a trip? I appreciate there is compromise in every aspect of choosing a bike for any application but you are going to spend a long time on a bike like this, and ask a lot of it.

Sure, we are in a free world and everybody can do whatever they want with their money if it’s not hurting someone else.

However, as you say, all choices are trade-offs. If you want to get only the best of the best on your touring bike, why not?. If that gives you more pleasure, or peace of mind during a trip, definitely go for it.

Rather than the best bike, I prefer to get a bike I feel is enough (after a proper mechanical check-up), and use the savings on other aspects of my trip. As example, here in Germany people love Rohloff hubs, but the price of one (only the hub, no bike around it) was exactly what costed me 3 full weeks pedalling in India, flights and bike included.

I spent my honeymoon cycletouring in Cuba for a month. At the end we donated our bikes, bought used in Germany, which had costed less than the airline fees to bring them back.

There is no right or wrong. As long as the decision is informed, all choices are correct.

For a week or two around Europe a retro MTB should be absolutely fine TBH. Make sure you put some road tyres on it though.

My experience of cycle touring around Europe is that stealth camping opportunities are limited and there isn't much price difference between camp sites and youth hostels so personally I'd ditch all the camping gear and stay in hostels/cheap hotels.

The only stuff you'll really need to take are some spare clothes to change into for the evening, a waterproof top and maybe a fleece, spare tubes/patch kit and pump and a set of Allen keys. Two panniers on the back should be more than enough for all that.

I have done a lot of touring. Here are some thoughts, for what they are worth.

First, lightweight is not important. I think mid range stuff is best for touring, as it's stronger and more forgiving of poor setup.

Second, avoid bling if you can. Crappy looking bikes are less likely to be stolen.

Third, don't kill yourself on distance, and measuring. As someone who has returned from a sabbatical from cycling and the Internet I think the current trend towards recording everything you do with a smartphone is a mistake. It's not a race; if you find yourself only wanting to do 20 miles in a day on tour that is fine. If you have your head down all the time trying to stick to something you drew up on Google maps, you will miss roadside conversations with locals and interesting journeys down side roads.

Fourth, and last, boring technical bits. 36 spoke wheels, mated to good quality not gnarly tyres and conservative, stout rims are things to aim for. For tyres, 1.5" is a good size, but 1,75" is better. Mudguards. Service everything before you go and you will be fine.

Let us know how you get on! Either of your bikes would be ok, if you like them and think you can ride them all day. But I would get something cheaper, and bigger than you'd choose for offroading. Frames built before 1991ish are the best tourers. Mine cost £65 and looking in the classifieds here I can see at least three in the last month that would be ok.

Re:

Agree, a slightly bigger frame is more comfortable for touring. I let this go recently. Full Tange Prestige, light and very well made. It also had carrier brazons on the front forks as well as the rear. Made for touring and lovely to ride all day in the saddle.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    161.1 KB · Views: 331
Back