Mountain Cycle San Andreas Twins

Loxy

Devout Dirtbag
Hi,
Been lurking on here a while looking at my options for getting back in to mountain biking, I was originally looking for an Alpinestars e-stay bike as I owned an Almega DX back in 91 and subsequently a Pace RC200F2 (RC0519 - if anyone knows it?).

Anyway after being messed about repeatedly with potential cromega purchases that never arrived after winning them on eBay, I had a bit more of a dig around the readers rides sections and revived my lust for the amazing looks of the Mountain Cycle San Andreas, a bike that looked and worked totally different to any other back in the day!!
Especially seeing Baulz immaculate original version here: http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewto ... %26andreas

Next thing I knew I was searching eBay to see if there was anything in my price range.....
I was amazed to see how much people were asking for these bikes, £800-£1000 for a bike that looked well used, after doing a bit more investigation I realised that these were massively over-priced and that they could be bought within my price range :p

So I took a bit of a gamble based on the single picture and brief description provided by the seller and next thing I knew I was driving to Yeovil from South Wales to pic this up:

(it was the mudguard that swung it for me ;)

Only really had time to look at it this morning & have to say I'm very pleased with what I got! Its got a proper mish-mash of components on it like 9 speed cassette and 8 speed XT shifters but its all in pretty good nick and easily swapped/sold, however the frame and fork look like they've hardly ever been used :cool:
Shock is worn and probably knackered as the rebound knob/mechanism has disappeared, makes me think that someones just lobbed some bits onto a frame that hadn't seen much use to get rid of it??

Anyway heres more pics and then some questions if anyone manages to get that far :facepalm:

So I have a few questions for those in the know....
Is it a 2001 10th Anniversary edition? and does that make it unusual? I think from the rear caliper mount that the year is probably correct as I gather they changed then?
Why is there a tapped hole, bottom front of the headtube? seen it on a couple of others too so don't think its a previous owner mod!
How do i tell what size seat subframe I have?

Thanks for looking and any answers gratefully received!

Re: 2001 Mountain Cycle San Andreas 10th anniversary edition

Got a real thing for mountain cycles, especially the SanAn.

looking forward to see what you do with this

BobCatMax":2u3c10bv said:
Got a real thing for mountain cycles, especially the SanAn.

looking forward to see what you do with this

I've got a most of a DX groupset & wheels in the garage from my old Alpinestars in the garage so was originally looking for something early 90s for a full on retro build but even though this is an early 90s design I think it would be wrong to attempt something retro seeing as it appears to be a 2001 model(and maybe get something else for the DX ;) ).

Think I might build it up with modern kit (SLX? Seems to be good deals from Merlin at the moment) and then join some of the guys at work on their rides round Cwmcarn and Gethin Woods once I've got a few miles under my belt.

What would you do with it?

I love a San Andreas! I reckon 1x10 modern gearing would work nicely.

danwithaplan":1a43rnzc said:
I love a San Andreas! I reckon 1x10 modern gearing would work nicely.

Was looking at a 2x10 SLX setup, the idea of only having one chain ring seems too wrong at the moment! Still stuck in the past where more gears was best!! :oops:

can I ask what you paid for it? would like something like this myself

Chute55uk":3jbrg0ff said:
can I ask what you paid for it? would like something like this myself

Paid £285 for it which I though was reasonable given the limited details and single picture, got a replacement shock on the way which was £40.
Think it was worth more if he'd advertised it better???

Started selling some of the parts I don't need on ebay and this turned up today :cool:

285? That's REAL cheap. Did you get the frame number checked by your local friends in blue? Best do that before you start spending money on it.

Raging_Bulls":vmcght8f said:
285? That's REAL cheap. Did you get the frame number checked by your local friends in blue? Best do that before you start spending money on it.

Yeah all checked out :cool:

Back