Motorbike insurance claim advice needed please

ferrus

Breezer Fan
Feedback
View
Hey guys, having been a cyclist all my life I’m new to biking and this will be my first claim, I could do with some advice please!
A friend of my neighbour/landlord backed her Discovery into my bike, knocking it over. The clutch lever’s bent, the speedo casing’s broken and the steering lock seemed stuck. I eventually managed to unlock it but the bike wouldn’t start (fuel injection’s appears ok) Now the steering lock won’t budge.
She’s been really nice about it all and is happy to take responsibility but she sent me an email asking if I could get a garage quote for repairs before going through our insurance companies, in case it’s not worth her claiming. Seemed fair enough to me, but my dad and best mate both reckon I have to let my insurance know and should leave all arrangements up to her company..

This bike is my sole form of transport. Being ‘vulnerable’ due to long term illness I’m trying to avoid public transport at the mo’. I’ll miss not having it and had wondered if the insurance might provide a replacement bike till mine’s fixed...?
Also, the garage would have to collect it before making an assessment; it could all get a bit messy if she (or her company) dispute the bill....

What do you reckon?

Re:

Sorry to hear about the mishap.I'd say go through the proper channels n let them worry about the finances.That's what insurance is for.Doesn't take much to stack up a big bill on modern bike parts,it needs to be put right as I'm sure you'll agree.You don't want to be left out of pocket on top of the inconvenience.I've known 7 grand bikes get written off from toppling over awkwardly.Sounds like the steering lock took a hammering if it was on when it got knocked.Non starting most likely due to oil from the sump getting slopped up the bores.
I'd say the only way you'll get any kind of temporary replacement is by either claiming on your policy (if it's included) or by hiring then adding the cost to their claim.I'm sure your insurance company would help you out with advice.

Re:

Insurance companies sometimes try to get repairs done at their choice of garage but you can specify yourself if you have a preference,as long as they're approved.Keep receipts of any expenses related to you net having your bike-travel fares/taxis.
It's not screwing someone,just covering your unexpected outgoings.

Re:

Thanks for that mate, much appreciated.
I felt a bit petty going through all the procedure for what might be only minor damage. But as you say, that’s what insurance is for. Cheers

Re:

Twice I've agreed to not go through the other persons insurance and twice I've lost out.
Make the claim on her insurance and let her offer to pay the bill to her insurers and keep her no claims bonus. That would be my advice.

If you go through the insurance route your insurance will go up regardless of fault no matter what

Get 3 quotes, make sure its cash up front - she's your neighbour, hopefully she wont run away.

If she doesnt like the costs, go with insurers but be prepared for a: the bike to be written off b: your insurance to go up as above

I suppose a lot depends on how good your relationship is with said neighbour. You should maybe start with advising her how much the hire of a replacement bike will cost her... she might then just go down the insurance route, making the decision for you.

Its always a tough choice and like above it depends on how well you know and trust your neighbor.

Just a couple of points though, it will go through her insurance, not yours. Hence why she is probably asking to sort it out without that. As for your insurance going up as a result, that is usually not the case.

The point raised above about a marker going on your reg is a point worth considering, and depending on the bike it could will be written off. Even if not, they have changed the categories now and added a few more so good chance it will go on the register, which sometimes can affect if selling it on.

What bike is it by the way?

Re:

mk one":2clke5r1 said:
it will go through her insurance, not yours. Hence why she is probably asking to sort it out without that. As for your insurance going up as a result, that is usually not the case.

Not IME. The two non-fault claims I have been involved in put my insurance up significantly, i.e. by many hundreds of pounds. You have to declare all claims and my experience is even non-fault ones affect the premium.

Back