More tyre drama

enc

Kona Fan
You might have read Saturdays dog sh*t thread...yesterdays drama was rather more terminal.:oops:
on our return journey... about 7 miles away from the cars my back tyre suddenly deflated. As I was removing the tyre it became apparent why.
part of the steel beading running around the rim had broken, pierced the rim of the tyre and pierced the innertube.
I carry a spare tube but this was sure to happen again if I just bunged in the new tube ... fcuk!!!

After some serious head-scratching ...and its not often it happens…i had an idea... what if I was to use a section of the now knackered innertube as a pad between the protruding steel braiding and innertube? with nothing to lose it was worth a try and it actually worked for a couple of miles before the tyre deflated again.
Still 5 miles away from the car, I was scuppered...Then we came up with a cunning plan.
I would ride my mates bike to where the cars were parked. Put his bike into the back of his car and drive my car back to where my mate and my punctured bike were waiting. Pick them both up and drive him back to his car...still following?:rolleyes:

I inflated the tyre to confirm the puncture was at the same place the protruding steel was at...

jr2qP5D.jpg

section of innertube folded over and used as a pad. neither of us had anything to cut the tube so i used the screwdriver attachment on my mates multitool to tare out a section from the tube ... crude but it did the job.

Ut17Mt9.jpg

The second puncture and the hole in the replacement tube was bigger but at least it had held out for a couple of miles.

lUvfYWh.jpg

Back at HQ, the extent of the broken wire can be seen ...it wasn't this bad on first checking, i can only assume it was made worse by pushing the bike a fair distance with the tyre flat.

UycqHXu.jpg

2WQEIeV.jpg

fortunately, we were on the return leg of a decent ride out so although inconvenienced...it could have been worse. A couple of valuable lessons learned.

Last edited:
I'm a roadie, but one thing us old hands do is carry a small section of tyre JIC to act as an internal pad if the tyre carcass goes. So, if you can carry a 2" section of slick MTB tyre in a similar vane it may get you home

Reactions: enc
I'm a roadie, but one thing us old hands do is carry a small section of tyre JIC to act as an internal pad if the tyre carcass goes. So, if you can carry a 2" section of slick MTB tyre in a similar vane it may get you home
good call pigman.

never heard of this happening before. wasnt aware it was a thing!

Back