More gearing choice questions

Mike-p

Retro Guru
Planning building up my newly repaired Stratton/ Roberts. But ive run out of money... I live in hilly country and im not exactly race fit... im light and like to spin the cranks. I have the following I'd like to combine into something with plenty low gearing. 46-11 is as fast as I'll ever bother to pedal...

Stronglight 49d cranks with 46-35 rings although id like to buy a 30t ring.
Stronglight 99 triple 32-42-48

7 speed 13-23 shimano
8 speed 14-23 campag
8 speed shimano 13-25
8 speed shimano 11-28 but I just fitted this to my partner's bike, removing the 13-25

Im currently planning to use a standard cage suntour superbe tech wrap limit 28 I think. Friction shifting.

To be honest my only thoughts about gearing in the past have been ' I wish I had a lower gear'

My other bike has 1x setup of 48x11-46 which i like a lot although I won't need THAT low a gear on the new build as I'm not carrying/ pulling anything.

Ideally I'd like 46-30 x 11-28 but want to get riding without buying new chainring casette and chain.

Does that even make any sense?

Any thoughts anyone?

I guess I could also set up the triple as a double with 48-32 but I imagine that would be a really annoying jump. Although basically around here if you're not going up a hill you're going down one...

I guess I could also set up the triple as a double with 48-32 but I imagine that would be a really annoying jump. Although basically around here if you're not going up a hill you're going down one...
With the 48 in the middle it should work, I guess.
When shifting from small to big gear and back up and down hills, a double may be quicker

Back