Modern vs retro frame sizing

Worth doing a quick check to make sure you're in the ballpark. An ill-fitting frame is not much fun.

Re:

I follow the fist full of seatpost frame sizing method. So I tend to ride a large, or 58cm frame in modern sizing. I'm riding a 61cm or 24 inch vintage bicycle which allows me to use a vintage seat post. I can ride a 22.5 inch / 57 cm vintage frame if I replace the seat post with a longer modern one and play about this the stem length. I will have almost feel the top tube rubbing my nads on the old school fit.

5-11ish with 31 leg but really long arms (great when swimming...) Ideal size 56-58cm c-c(23.5"). With a long stem. Had 2 different fits over the years - a "FitKit" fit in 1987 in the US, and a recent top of the range Shimano system fit. Other than the recent fit allowing a steeper seat angle (it was for Tri/TT bike) that the original FitKit suggested I avoid, they pretty much agreed 100% on measurements. Shimano suggested a shorter stem, which I tried. It was wrong, have gone back longer on road bike but retained shorter on TT bike.

thanks for the responses its much appreciated

fwiw I bought a 56cm frame. my (modern) road bike is a Giant size M/L, which roughly equates to a 53.5cm, which is almost exactly the same size.

so I will need a long-ish seat post and a 80mm ish stem (I think) - for a more traditional fit with a short seat post I could probably have gone a bit bigger, but its my first build and will do for a start :)

Back