Sorted Modern 26er frame - Carbon/Aluminium hardtail SORTED

Fatal Swan

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Edit - so there's an update to this old request, see this post below.

I've been riding almost entirely only the road over the last few years and have rather lost energy for building MTBs, partly with new standards and technology I'm not that familiar with and the trends for enormous bikes that look hideous to me (well, it is retrobike...) However after dismantling my last couple of full and half-builds out of losing interest, I do have a bunch of really quite nice lightweight mid-2000s parts in fine condition that I've assembled for the right project (26" wheels, forks, XTR) waiting for a decent frame to go on. I've dabbled a little with a couple of full sus frames last year but not really been that inspired - probably should have been by the Whyte E5, but I ended up selling it here recently without giving it too much attention 🤦

So, I'm on a general lookout for something that catches my eye really and gives me some inspiration to build up something interesting with good parts and get out offroad again in the spring. Requirements will be ideally, in priority order:

• to fit me at 6'0 and 33.5" inside leg, so probably looking at a Large frame (I used to be 19" in old money).
  • for 26" wheel
  • standard 135 QR dropout
  • disc frame, straight 1 & 1/8" steerer
  • suit fork of around 100mm
  • headset fitted (so I don't have to!

Carbon or decent quality aluminium hardtail would be ideal, a Ti frame is going to be too pricey.

Please don't be offended if you offer me something that seems to be meet all the criteria and I don't take it - like I said, I'm looking for something which catches my attention in some way and gives me back a bit of enthusiasm to get on with building it and riding it. And I don't entirely know what that will be :roll:

Last edited:
Re: Modern 26er frame - prob lightweight Carbon/Al/Ti hardtail?

Hi Fatal Swan - let me know if this interests you and I'll send you some photos:
19" Kona Kula (think it's 200:cool: for 26" wheel and 135mm QR dropouts. Resprayed decent powdercoat job, plain white. Disc mount only. Replaceable mech hanger. White matching FSA headset fitted. Perfect for 100mm fork. I'm thinking £100 plus a bit for postage. Your XTR kit might be too good for it though!

19" large Genesis titanium frame ( Alptitude) fitted Hope headset, seat collar, s/s frame bolts, crud guard.
Technically used but really like new. Mint.

£700 delivered, insured and tracked.

Magura suspension forks, I think 120 travel. Even less use than the frame 'cos I ran Fox forks for a short while
,£250. Includes shock pump. Remote lock out. I can check the spec later as I still have the manual.

Photo available, if interested.

TB

Cheers - I think those two offers are probably helpful in marking out a bit beyond what I'm looking for either at both the lower and the higher end! The Kona is probably a bit on the plain side to spark my interest really (the bike I've just dismantled out of boredom was also a plain white aluminium hardtail!). The Genesis Ti sounds very nice of course, but the budget won't extend that far for a mint condition example like this I guess :) So realistically I'm probably looking at something in the range between those markers!

Thanks

Re:

O need to reduce my fleet so having to make some tough calls. I do have a large (19) pipedream scion 853 framed bike i might be up for selling. Its a great slightly metallic colour, absolutely mint as I've barely ridden it since building. It has a new when fitted hope headset and aside from gearing (was gold x0) is a full bike, but happy to split as you seem to have the bits to do it justice. I'm keen for it to go to a good home as it has a level of sentimental value to me.

Another possibly making the cull is a rock lobster team ti in 19 inch. I have been toying with building this up as a commuter/gravel type mtb to make my ride home longer and more fun. Its got plenty of patina as it was lacquered from new (factory) and this has scuffs and scrapes in places, kind of appeals for the intended plan of have/had for it. It's a toss up between this, a carbon 29er ive pinched a few bits off, or another ti frame which might take 27.5 wheels, and I don't have anything that size.....

If either float your boat, let me know.

You need the bike i've always wanted, but never managed to find - 2008ish Ellsworth Enlightenment.
Sorry to have been no help at all.

wynne":vz8sc70j said:
You need the bike i've always wanted, but never managed to find - 2008ish Ellsworth Enlightenment.
Sorry to have been no help at all.
Yep, I think that would do it!

Back