Mk1 Santa Cruz Chameleon

Emoco

Retro Guru
Pics incoming. Building from frame up so looking to get a 98/99 era build parts wise. Paul Smith had a black Chameleon in MBUK back in the day in an article about using speed bumps to practice. I always wanted something similar back then but my 19" Kona Hahanna was my only realistic option.

I'm thinking a sort of play around the woods JMC type build.

It's a medium frame, tempted to have it powder coated black or red as current black paint isn't great.

Thinking XTR vees, Azonic bar/stem, small MRP, IRCs (can't remember if they were good or bad?) V8 pedals.. saddle... what was the ticket back then? SDG?

Forks, Z1 or the Judy DH '98 maybe. Depends what I can find.

If anyone has any suitable parts in good condition, feel free to PM. Will post progress.

Frame has arrived! Love the lines/angles. Paint is kinda bad. Decals even worse. Waiting to see if Gil can do the decals specific to this version and thinking of a powder coat. I like idea of sticking to black.
308974041_417732083831081_3221153341642813367_n.jpg

Looking for some advice on era correct chain devices, tempted by an slalom MRP but kinda heavy. Were there any decent chain guides at the time without the plates? I remember DMR's being really bad.

Looking for some advice on era correct chain devices, tempted by an slalom MRP but kinda heavy. Were there any decent chain guides at the time without the plates? I remember DMR's being really bad.

I understand the whole 'period correct' thing but chain devices were a pretty crap solution to a problem that has been resolved with clutch mechs and narrow/wide chainrings. Even without a clutch mech the N/W chainring is unlikely to drop the chain and you don't have all the weight, noise and drag of a chain device.

The picture is of my bike with a n/w chainring and a plastic shimano bash guard 20180902_191208.jpg

I understand the whole 'period correct' thing but chain devices were a pretty crap solution to a problem that has been resolved with clutch mechs and narrow/wide chainrings. Even without a clutch mech the N/W chainring is unlikely to drop the chain and you don't have all the weight, noise and drag of a chain device.

The picture is of my bike with a n/w chainring and a plastic shimano bash guardView attachment 666842
Good to know. If I can just run a single ring with no guide and the mech/ring will do the job, that's ideal. What cassette/mech/hub/ring are you running?

Mine is a little unusual. I am running a Hope Pro II hub in the 135mm x 12mm configuration. I drilled out the dropout to accept a 12mm axle and using a DT 12mm axle. This was mainly to secure the disc adaptor, which is held in place by the axle and a chainring bolt (I drilled an extra hole for the chainring bolt).

20180902_191106.jpg

The gearing is 10 speed SRAM X7 shifter and mech with a SRAM cassette. The older non-clutch SRAM mechs tended to have stronger springs than Shimano mechs, which were always a bit sloppy

Attachments

• 20180902_191116.jpg
    20180902_191116.jpg
    159.3 KB · Views: 6
Mine is a little unusual. I am running a Hope Pro II hub in the 135mm x 12mm configuration. I drilled out the dropout to accept a 12mm axle and using a DT 12mm axle. This was mainly to secure the disc adaptor, which is held in place by the axle and a chainring bolt (I drilled an extra hole for the chainring bolt).
Where did you get the discount from?? After one for mine.

Latest posts

Back