Mikes' Cougar : Finished, and first ride

Re:

Aye, reet foreign muck

Shuuder used ruddy Reynolds! :LOL:

Them toobs wud be proper roond lark

Re: Cougar on the loose! 5th Febuary

Mike Muz 67":3f87z6zv said:
Made of Dedacciai ( just how do you pronounce that? ) tubing
deh - da - tchai , or thereabouts. Three syllables.

"deh" somewhere between the sound of "dead" and "date"

"da" with a slightly prolonged "a", like "father"

"tchai" like the first syllable of "china", but a little longer.

Here's "acciai" - "steels": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YBMjqiWMBLM

Re:

I e-mailed Dolan Cycles last night, and got a reply today! :shock: Stating that it was an early '90s frame, although could not be pinned down to a year. Still nice to know. Goddam, should have gone down the 7400 route! :roll:

Been busy at work this morning.

After giving the car an oil change, I got down to some serious work, cleaning! :LOL:

So did the easy bit first, degreasing the front mech, which needed little encouragement to shine. After which, soapy water and dry off.
Then I mustered up the courage to clean the rear mech.

It was advertised as 'needing a clean' , also the owner thought it was 7 speed :? , although if it was it would have been a lot more expensive. So cheap owing to it's dirtiness. It took some time to degrease this, I have to say, and there is still some grime inside the body that I can't get to with a brush or small screwdriver. However, looking a bit bettererer

Look at the top of the cage, even Dura Ace has plastic these days! Oh hang on, 9 speed is old skool now, so probly more plastic now :facepalm:
After which, I tackled polishing up the jockey wheel cage back plate.

In this state, I'd like to see how the spokes held out after rubbing this away! I could have taken more metal off to get it looking better, but there comes a stage where you have to be sensible. More blingy now I think,

I really like the design of the jockey wheels, with actual bearings in a cage, inside the lower wheel, it's just a pity the teeth are worn to the degree they are. The top one is a sealed bearing.

^ Dead?

Felt brave this afternoon, so I took the springs out of it,

Not as grim as I was expecting, but I still cleaned it all up,

And regreased it, before putting back together, with little drama.

Just need to find some nice jockey wheels now :roll:

Sadly, I ran out of time to polish up the seatpost, but I did get the lacquer off it, so it's on it's way!

Mike

not to shabby at this polishing lark are you matey ;) do you need some 7700 cranks to polish as well :D :D

kingbling":24mz0w44 said:
not to shabby at this polishing lark are you matey ;) do you need some 7700 cranks to polish as well :D :D

Only if they're looooong ones. Possibly

As for polishing, remember these?

Mike

Attachments

• Gitane chainset.jpg
    Gitane chainset.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 921

I do and that equates to a LOT of polishing I will check the length when I get back on wednesday I think they're 172.5s

Re: Re:

Mike Muz 67":f4prdlu9 said:
I e-mailed Dolan Cycles last night, and got a reply today! :shock: Stating that it was an early '90s frame, although could not be pinned down to a year. Still nice to know. Goddam, should have gone down the 7400 route! :roll:
Nah, gotta be later nineties, surely. Deda TIG frame, unicrown fork, head-tube cable adjusters, faux-carbon paint ...

Only the horizontal dropouts hint at an earlier date.

I reckon 7700 is right on the money.

Re: Re:

one-eyed_jim":2dobo7cv said:
Mike Muz 67":2dobo7cv said:
Nah, gotta be later nineties, surely. Deda TIG frame, unicrown fork, head-tube cable adjusters, faux-carbon paint ...

Only the horizontal dropouts hint at an earlier date.

I reckon 7700 is right on the money.

With you there Jim, it all points to a later frame. Will look cool I think anyway! :cool:

Back