Mikes' Cougar : Finished, and first ride

Re:

Nice frame Mike. I was trying to buy a similar one a few months back but it fell through. Look forward to seeing it built up. :D

Re: Cougar on the loose!

Very nice looking mate :)
I am sure that will look very smart once built. Quite flash in fact ;)

Jamie

Re:

Thanks for your kind comments lads, ;) I must admit to being a bit excited about how this one will turn out. :oops: Is that a bit sad? :facepalm:

I gave it a wash, took it home and had the headset apart, eventually. :roll: A Stronglight A9 - I think - , the top cup was extremely tight to undo, but once I got it off, it all cleaned up nicely and turned out to be in good condition. :cool:
I had to square off the top of the forks though, I mean this is just wrong, right?

Having done that, I put a wire brush across the threads to clear out any nastiness, following up with a toothbrush and WD40.
I dedided to keep the headset, so re-greased it and put it back on, a lot smoother than how it came off.
So tomorrow, start cleaning up/polishing parts that have started to arrive, and trust me, some need A LOT of cleaning! :facepalm:

Mike

Re: Cougar on the loose! 5th Febuary

I run a Stronglight A9 on my Merckx, have done from new and once set up its almost maintenance free. Just service now and again, but after initial adjustment, it never needs it again. My favourite headset. Nice and light too, well relatively ;)
That Cougar looks lovely sitting still as frame and fork, it really will look brilliant once built.

Jamie

Jamiedyer":ln6kgdyx said:
I run a Stronglight A9 on my Merckx, have done from new and once set up its almost maintenance free. Just service now and again, but after initial adjustment, it never needs it again. My favourite headset. Nice and light too, well relatively ;)
That Cougar looks lovely sitting still as frame and fork, it really will look brilliant once built.

Jamie

I had one on a bike BITD, and didn't think much of them IIRC. Thought the top cup/locknuts were a bit soft. But having had this one apart, I'm warming to them Jamie.

Cleaned the mechs up this morning, front didn't need much, but the rear! :shock: :evil:
Pics later.

Now do I take the springs out of it? How brave am I feeling?

Mike

Re:

Just checking in to watch the build.

I also thought the finish looked Rabobank like.

Gert lush... as we say down here.

On pronunciation... I always say Dee Dack eye... but I am from Yorkshire...

Back