Metal detector!

Been to Bournemouth beach a few times with a cheap detector. Gold rings and money etc.
Guy I know who went used to claim he found around £120 every time his family went.

You need a license also.

Re:

The detectorists on the beach reminded me of a job I was on a few years ago when the Scottish Seabird Centre at North Berwick was being finished. We were installing gates and metal fences outside. Watched a detectorist on the beach close by the centre one afternoon, when he was occupied on another part of beach I threw a handful of nuts and washers onto an area he hadn't searched.

What's not to like, a beach, a detectorist and a few nuts and washers. Kept me entertained all afternoon. The guy I was working with laughingly called me a right nasty wee bastard, very true :roll: , but it still makes me smile to think about it. :facepalm:

Rampage":301goq7n said:
You need a license also.
Do you need a license to use a metal detector? No, the Home Office scrapped licenses in 1980. However it is now required on some beaches that a permit be obtained. Further information can be obtained from the Crown Estates website and the permit applied for online through a link on the detecting page.

Thanks Rob Mac.. great info.

I believe the more modern detectors can discriminate between trash items and stuff worth digging... hopefully will stop all you nasty sods who mock our art! :)

A ring pull makes the same sound as a gold ring so its worth digging up the rubbish unless you are digging a dumping ground.

Found some old coins, so far that is it.

I did a field last year that is used by dog walkers, lucky for me they all clean up after their dogs.
However I quit because I was digging up far too many modern coins, dug up over a tenner before I got fed up and it was still pinging away like you wouldn't believe.

Rob... Thought you'd never ask...

Wanted something that's a little tuneable rather than entry level. This has also got a bit of a retro vibe - which also appeals...

Back