Mayhem 2020 cancelled due to apocalypse

Re: Re:

Spudly":3w486o3r said:
Soooo, for someone who is completely in the dark about mountain mayhem, and is considering coming next year, is there a beginners guide anywhere?

For example..

Do we have to ride, if so how many laps..?

Do we have to drink, if so how many beers..

Do we have to have retro only..?

Do we have to bring enough caffeine to keep a bull awake all weekend..?

Hello Spudly, I broke my MM Cherry last year, so I appreciate it all seems a bit daunting. Although everyone was really cool here on the Forum, I did wonder if it would be a bit different in real life.
Did I come last? Yes, Did my fellow RetroBikeers laugh, of course… did I ever feel not welcome? Not for one moment.
And out on the track I’d been advised to just let people through, and I’d be ok. I was lapped numerous times and only ever got friendly banter, positive encouragement and thankyou’s for making way. (Oh and proper and befitting abuse when riding past our camp)
Anyway, based on my experience…

Do we have to ride, if so how many laps..? I and many others did only 1, some didn’t ride…

Do we have to drink, if so how many beers.. I don’t suppose you have to, not realy thought about it. Some people were very good at it (Hotwheels drank at breakfast)

Do we have to have retro only..? I don’t think so, plenty brought a Retro for showing off/pit riding then raced something post ‘98

Do we have to bring enough caffeine to keep a bull awake all weekend..? Most of our Team stopped riding at 11, drank till about 2 then went to bed (in the middle of the 24hr race)

Spudly":3tcvvq6r said:
Soooo, for someone who is completely in the dark about mountain mayhem, and is considering coming next year, is there a beginners guide anywhere?

This year was also my first Mayhem - loved it.

Do we have to ride, if so how many laps..? Nope, but it's a great route for fun. REALLY good 5.5 mile loop. I did 2 laps and want to do more next year.

Do we have to drink, if so how many beers.. Not at all. Whilst people were drinking, it was not a piss up. I drank rum - beer is not mandatory.

Do we have to have retro only..? Nope. People were riding whatever they wanted, BUT it was great having the retro section as something of a showground.

Do we have to bring enough caffeine to keep a bull awake all weekend..? I dozed some of the Saturday afternoon in the sun, went to bed at 4am. I think I actually got more sleep than I normally would over the whole weekend...

The atmosphere for a newbie was terrific and welcoming, very chilled, much banter. Also, it was obviously evident that The Retro camp/banter was really well received by all of the other competitors & campers. We're the only contingent with a Disco & fairy lights :)

Bring a retro bike, more if possible, and you'll be welcomed with open arms.

I give it 8 stars (out of five)

Re: Mountain mayhem 2020

I can only agree with the above.
Ride what you like as much as you like. I join a 10 man team with a relaxed attitude to lap times. No pressure, loads of fun.
If you want more, do more. Theres always scope for more. Some ride for more than one team to make up laps, on the hush hush obviously :D

Took the family this year (my second time) and they loved it too, friendly bunch and no hassle (the RBers that is, not my family. they are a PITA!)

Spudly":120mqnr4 said:

For example..

Psyched you are going to join us old chap!

In answer, and this is based on our previous encounter......

As many as few as you like (dependent on the team, if you are bale to stand...lot of factors really)....probably not viewed in best light with a tin in your hand.

Well enough to make you puke in your tent!

No, but bring the Raleigh Ti please.

I have my camp coffee which will put hairs on your chest. Not sure you will get midnight pizza delivery ( I know you are partial) but Andy does a fantastic late night steak.

:D :D :D :D :D :D

Spudly":lj10sn3i said:

For example..

It was my first time too so:

at least one lap, even if no-one notices you ride by yet nearly lose it on the ramp

alcohol is up to you, just remember to have a security bloke near by to; A: pick you off the floor B: direct you to you van. Also, if away from the main RB section, steal a vehicle, possibly a 19 plate and bring it back the next day making sure the actual owner onlynotices when you clamber out, still pissed at 8am.

my bicycles were both retro - they were perfect for walking around the course with

caffeine is for wimps but great for the sunday morning when Gerrard will dispense copious amounts

I hope this helps.

legrandefromage":2wg1sz0b said:
It was my first time too so:

......if away from the main RB section, steal a vehicle, possibly a 19 plate and bring it back the next day making sure the actual owner onlynotices when you clamber out, still pissed at 8am.

:LOL: I still have PTSD about that ^^ he was proper pissed, to pissed to walk and yet managed to get there and back across a field full of tents and other obstacles at 3am
When he borrowed the car at 4pm to collect the steak he was sober .... brought the car back but never gave me the key and then decided to use it as a taxi home.

And yeah I almost chocked on breakfast when my car pulled up :shock:

Anyway - it’s all a load of silly nonsense, as I’m sure you’ve gathered already, on a serious note and the off chance you’ve missed any of the 5 thousand posts so far - go back a page or two and there’s a list of all those planning on coming

Re:

I may bring Arthur. He will have finished growing by then.

Hopefully.

Attachments

• 159F63BF-B02B-4D2D-8376-DAED365A4541.jpeg
    159F63BF-B02B-4D2D-8376-DAED365A4541.jpeg
    124.5 KB · Views: 146

Oh yes! Dog fest........both of mine drink beer.....

Attachments

• Dog tired.JPG
    Dog tired.JPG
    114.3 KB · Views: 141

By all accounts his Mrs doesn’t mind the dogs drinking beer but draws the line at Chris doing #2’s on the lawn

Back