Marin Pine Mountain 91. Update 5/8: M737's and DC987's...

Drewson":19217rn8 said:
Nice one....like it :cool:

Must get on with my 91' Team Marin.....if i didn't have so many other projects on the go..... :roll: :)

Ohhh nice, a 91 Team Marin... Another frame that I would like... What's the paintwork like?

Paintwork is "OK", but had to rub it down in areas where surface rust had developed.....needs entirely respraying really.....

One day i'll contact one of the Zolatone Paint manufacturers in the US and get ahold of the original Zolatone 2000 paint (or as near as i can get) to make a proper job of it.......will probably need to buy a tanker load however.... :roll: :LOL: .....anyhoo....one day....

Drew :)

Drewson":1j85smgt said:
Paintwork is "OK", but had to rub it down in areas where surface rust had developed.....needs entirely respraying really.....

One day i'll contact one of the Zolatone Paint manufacturers in the US and get ahold of the original Zolatone 2000 paint (or as near as i can get) to make a proper job of it.......will probably need to buy a tanker load however.... :roll: :LOL: .....anyhoo....one day....

Drew :)

I do like the Zolatones, just reminds me of my child hood... My '91 PM has lasted quite well with only a few marks... It was not worth a respray as the paint finish is super hard as they normally are... It would be good to get hold of the frame paint though... I will have a '91 Team Marin or TT in the future though. The frame geometry really suits me... :D

Update: Now running M737's and Dia-Compe 987's...

Update 3 or 4, hmmmmm.....

Another few changes, I originally sprayed a quill stem to test the paint etc... That was an old stem from a Scott and quite heavy so I sprayed a nice light Zoom that I had around. It is much better for me with a 10mm longer reach and it is a better bit of kit:

DSC00920.jpg

I then thought the STX/Magura's needed to make way for some old M737's and some nice canti's... The 987's came courtesy of Gravy Monster (James)... I always wanted a set and these!!! These are in nice condition too! The front canti hanger is all I had and is not a bad bit of kit again and works well!!! Kool Stops up front and some original Shimano blocks at the rear...

DSC00919.jpg

DSC00921.jpg

Do you like my mix of anodised bits? Red, blue and purple.... :LOL:

The chainset will get made up to a triple set up as soon as I find a good M735 31.8 front mech...

Ohh, and a new HG cassette, a new chain and some black Yeti grips... This gets used most days... I need my new pub bike...!

Ta,

Dan.

Marin, Zolatone etc.

Hi,
Just love the job you've done on the Marin, the respray on the forks/stem and the decals finish it off perfectly.
I remember them well from when I started riding again back in 1991 on my Trek 850.
I seem to remember there were some 'cheapo Marin clones' about at the time, a HiFi shop in Cirencester were giving them away if you spent over a certain amount, I thought it was a Marin until I looked closely :roll:, the paint job wasn't anything like the real thing!
I'm not surprised you've changed from a Single Speed as Aylesbury isn't a flat as people think, even though it's the 'Vale of Aylesbury'!
I live a bit further down the south of the county and I couldn't dream of having an SS'er, I'm just not fit enough for a start :oops:.
Can't wait to see the two Trek's you have listed, I'm a bit of a fan of their bikes!

Very nice, I love the Marin bikes of that era!. I used to read the catalog over & over!

There is a retro bear valley going round aylesbury.. see it from time to time!

I ll keep a look out for ya.. your bike is easy to spot! :)

Cheers

Decals.

Hello,
I've recently started to search for a retro MTB and I'm hoping to get my hands on a 91 Palisades Trail very shortly. (I own a 2009 version so thought it would be a good addition to get my retro bike collection started). I've just read the thread about your Pine Mounatin and thing you've done a great job with it. I was just wondering where you got your decals from, the ones on the bike I hope to get are a bit tatty looking.

Cheers,

Greg

Hi Greg. Contact member Gil_M as he does decals and has some Marin ones on file. He's defo got 1991 Pine Mountain so might be able to make up some Palisades stickers. ;)

Thanks for that. I'm collecting the bike tomorrow so I'll see what condition its in close up and take it from there.

Back