Magura HS info

Does anyone know the plastic hose/tubing size? Just so I don't look too dumb when asking for it. Also, where's the best place to get it from? Cheers.

I tried to mount some HS22's to my Zaskar last year. I was running modern rims and they wouldn't fit. Went through a lot of trouble trying to set them up properly. I think if I'd had retro rims at the time, I could have gotten them to work fine. Much of the pissing around was because they came with one blown piston.

I found some good resources on the Magura site and they have some good technical videos on youtube. Personally I don't think you get much more braking than v-brakes out of those suckers. I'm sticking cantis on the Zaskar because I'll always be able to fix those.

It's horses for courses IMO I installed a magura due to odd cable routing which meant I could never get the power and control I wanted out of a cable brake.

The hope no. 1 braided cable kit fitted my magura's definately not the cheapest option but I wanted braided due to that funny routing.

dirttorpedo":1sdgkhmz said:
Personally I don't think you get much more braking than v-brakes out of those suckers. I'm sticking cantis on the Zaskar because I'll always be able to fix those.

The trials guys certainly think differently. However, the main difference is that Maguara once set up need nothing more than snapping in replacement pads for the next 19+ years or so, unlike cable operated brakes.

For me, the best thing about Maguras is that they are really progressive, V's always seem much more snatchy.

secret_squirrel":2ngf08rb said:
I find them more progressive but with slightly less feel than V's but more power in the wet.

Pretty well spot on in my experience.

Interesting comments on the progressive. Not tried my maguras yet but my vbrake are progressive and powerful. I find the shimano levers set with full servowave action I.e. the nobbles taken out on xt or the nobble and screw wound out on xtr to be best.
The other in the range canoot really be compared given the price comparison.

I'm hoping the maguras make it easier for me to hold the power in the technical and bumpy descents so my fingers don't pack in. In the wet it so damn muddy it doesn't really matter.

5mm hose, but tartybikes does seem to be the best place to get magura related stuff.

Certainly in long, long descents the lighter feel of a Magura makes a big difference in that your hands don't fatigue. I certainly noticed this with long (20min+) descents in the Dolomites.

The Maguras on my tandem have stopped a loaded touring machine with child trailer without drama on 1:5 hills in Devon when the rims were underwater it was raining so hard.

Back