Magura HS info

Re:

The way the Hydrostops and the Raceline/HS series work is the same, however.. The diameter of the threaded bolt at the lever end of the hose is not the same on the hydrostops as the 'newer' brakes from about 92 onwards.
The very old hydrostops like this use a smaller hose-end bolt, so you would likely need to replace the hose between the lever and the slave cylinders as well as the lever itself if you get a newer lever. What you can't do is unscrew the hydrostop hose from the old hydro lever and screw it into a newer HS or Raceline series lever.
Just so you replace the right parts in one go and aren't stuck without a brake! ;)

Oh, these are good informations thank you!!

Yesterday I fortunately found my old right lever without attachement, but I think it will be work.

Now I only need a new brake hose I think. Can you say me what type I need? (Because you said the diameter of the bolt at the lever end of the hose is not the same) Are there different brake hoses?

Thanks a lot for your time!

Re:

Hoses might or might not be the same, it really doesn't matter as the hose is not the issue, it's the hose-end that threads into the brake lever that's a different diameter.

The hoses are factory-fitted to a barb by heating the hose until it's malleable then sliding the hose over the barb. When you replace them you're supposed to use olives & a "sleeve nut" as Magura says you can't re-heat and re-install the same hose onto a new barbed fitting/new barb into an old hose (but you can if you're careful).

I'd suggest Magura93 you might need to do that if you need a new hose as bleed/refit kits seem to be scarce for the older brakes.. (I need to do the same, eventually - but I have a broken hose and a broken slave caliper!)

You can see below the difference in the fitment diameter between the older hydrostop (the bit with a broken hose attached) and a newer 2012 version HS33.

First a comparison of the original Hydrostop lever fitting against the HS33 size sleeve nut from a refill kit:
21624026742_76a741205f_b.jpg

And the two in comparison to a Hydrostop brake lever:
21644427871_cb5d7f520d_b.jpg

The Hydrostop hose-end fitted into the Hydrostop lever:
21014303853_19dea5b76b_b.jpg

And to show the comparison with a real 2012 HS33 hose-end diameter:
21012616274_475a811ea8_b.jpg

Unbolted and removed from my HS33s just now:
21448454929_f24bb8d5aa_b.jpg

So as you can see, while the basic operation of the Magura rim brakes has stayed the same over the years, there have been small but often significant changes along the way.

Back