MacRetro Clan Gathering - Sunday 18th May, Drumlanrig

Re: Re:

Kaiser
ewan
gmac123
zigzag
Velo
Clubby

Ewan, can bring one along on Sunday if you're not sorted by then. Don't try to use the cutter on a set of pliers, you'll just wreck the cable.

ive got a set of wire snips but don't think there up to the job. ive replaces all the cables on my new bike but they all need cut

ewanm77":103e0i8u said:
ive got a set of wire snips but don't think there up to the job. ive replaces all the cables on my new bike but they all need cut

An emergency method is to wrap the cable part youre going to cut with very tightly layered electricians tape,then cut through that. The tightly wound layers prevent the cut end from springing open when the cut isnt clean.

Ive used this method using the cheapest, bluntest, most nastiest pliers and got a cut end neat enough to put the cable end onto(dont forget to bring a couple ;) )
Ive also found that the cheap nasties arent too sharp so its quite difficult to cut through the tape and wire quickly enogh to leave it clean. A work around is to put the wrapped bit into the cutter, then quickly and sharply strike the end of the handle with a hammer(rock etc) with the pliers sitting on the ground/bench etc. this cuts it through quick.

Hammer, Chisel on the step out side the flat, job done. :) Cable cutters are nicer though now I have them.

The Ken":360j6tvn said:
Hammer, Chisel on the step out side the flat, job done. :) Cable cutters are nicer though now I have them.

or, once my auld fellas pliers lost their sharp edge I continued to use them, however instead of squeezing them by hand, I'd give them a whallop with a hammer (that's whalloping the head of the pliers and not the handles) worked every time. the only issue was taking wheels off etc or whatever you need to do to get the pliers sitting on the ground / solid surface..

Ewan, I no longer do this, after a visit to my favourite tool shop, Bills Tools in the barras, £12, not great but do the job.

ps don't tell ma dad :p

Back