Look Fournales Shock_ need help

Ok, so I took a crack at servicing the shock for my 1st gen Fournales fork last weekend. here are some additional impressions from following the servicing steps I posted earlier.
I did make some plastic vise grips holders for the shock but I think one could get away by using those adjustable rubber strap spanners to hold the shock while unscrewing the top. It didn't seem like the parts were together super tight (I had no problem unscrewing the shock with regular hand pressure). The shock assembly is as simple as it looks on the disassembled pic. On my shock I had the surprise that the spring came out in three pieces, the damn thing was broken! Luckily I had a second shock lying around from a busted one so I cannibalized the spring from that one. The oil was super dirty since it seemed that the shock was never serviced ( I don't think many owners bothered to send in the shock for regular service). The good thing is: this shock is super easy to disassemble and an oil change is a piece of cake! Yes it's that easy. It seems to me like the shock uses an open oil bath (judging by the amount of oil I was supposed to pour in 58cc for the large damper, that's quite a bit compared to other shocks I serviced before).
It does make the shock a little bit heavier but it also does make the service and the oil change a breeze. Since it's an open oil bath system I would advise to change the oil more often since it gets contaminated easier than a closed pressurized system. In my case the seals and bushings looked pretty good so I didn't need any replacements there.
Overall the shock is simple but good quality so with regular maintenance it would last forever (the open oil bath helps lubricate the internals). I used a lighter weight 5WT oil than the regular 10WT what the shock originally had (mainly because I do have a canister of it at home and I couldn't be bothered to buy another one with 10WT). I also heard that the original damper felt a little over-damped in compression so I thought I'll try a lighter weight oil to get a more supple compression and I cranked the rebound screw all the way in to get maximum rebound on the way back. Yes I do feel a difference in the adjustments after the cleanup and oil change so the rebound actually does something. After mounting the shock back and pumping it up a little bit I cycled it back and forth a couple of times to circulate the oil through it (it did make some munchy sounds the first couple of times but it got quiet afterwards, which I would guess it means the shock works as intended quiet shock = good).
After mounting the fork on my bike I went for a test ride. Here are some trail impressions. I didn't pump it up to the described PSI since I thought it was way too high, I went for the regular 12 bar that were usually spec'd for a medium weight rider (I'm much heavier) and the fork actions quite smoothly. Some people might prefer a stiffer reacting fork but then I might as well go rigid... Anyway the forks works really well (doesn't bob as much as the Noleen linkage fork it replaced), very good tracking absorbs trail chatter really well. It still dives under braking (whoever started the myth that it's anti-dive, is full of shit, or pumped it up to factory setting making it very harsh) but it behaves similar to a regular telescoping in that aspect, which I don't really mind. Bear in mind I didn't hit any hardcore trails with it, so I don't know how it behaves under harsher conditions, it is a lightweight short-travel cross country fork after all. Anyways it works better than the Noleen fork and is much lighter.
Bottom line: the shock service and oil change is super simple and there's no reason NOT to do it yourself. You could also experiment with the oil weight in order to fine tune the damping.

Re:

Just got myself a Look Fournales Fork (large ) and looking for any help i can find on the fork and the shock , just read your write up on your shock service very helpful and detailed many thanks for that .As to anti dive fork , the USE SUB fork is the one for doing that . :D

"Just got myself a Look Fournales Fork (large )"
Welcome to the club! Do you have the first or the second version of it? Bushings or sealed bearings?
I had to do some major surgery to the upper linkage of mine (first generation bushing one). Long story short, either dirt got into the bushing/axle interface (trails here in So-cal are very dusty) or the hard coating on the axle wasn't very good, either way there was some serious slop in the upper linkage that connects to the steering tube. When I dismantled the linkage (which was a hellish pain in the ass, for some reason the press-fit axle wouldn't come out of the holder had to go medieval to take it apart), I found that the axle was literally ground down (totally shot). I went the route: **** it and replaced the bushings with a needle bearing in the middle sandwiched by two micro ball bearings on either side, used a 5mm stainless axle for the whole contraption with two nuts on either side, done. Works pretty good so far and the bearings will be very easy to swap out and replace when they go bad (unlike the busing setup). Now all I have to hope is that the lower linkage bushings don't crap out on me (those will require some serious mods to convert to needle bearings).

Re:

As always bought in a moment of madness ( from France ! ) but it has sealed bearings and like you i intend to strip and rebuild , your problem seams very similar to some of the problems i have come across wit AMP Forks and also Pro-Flex rear arms , like you i got rid of the hard anodised Ali axles and made them from stainless steel , as for the Pro-Flex i went needle roller bearings , thanks for your help on this , are you the guy rebuilding the Nuke proof reactor ? Like that .

Sealed bearings one is very easy to dismantle and replace the bearings. I have one of those (not on a bike yet, but with brand new bearings the linkages are smooth as butter!).
Yes I am the one rebuilding the Nuke Proof Reactor. Lately I haven't had any time to deal with bikes at all... between having a baby and buying a house that needs a lot of work I had to prioritize (and the bikes end up on the back burner, unfortunately, but between fixing the broken washer and dryer and working on bikes..., I guess the appliances won).
I told my wife I might as well stick all my bike stuff in a container and dig it out in 20 years when my daughter will leave for college...

Re:

Photo0170_zpskud3kbal.jpg

Photo0171_zpslazzzy2n.jpg

Sorry for the poor pics ,

This is the fork i have now , one question , am i right thinking that the lower Ali rings below the lower brace is for the brake bosses ? if so do you know of any for sale . Welcome to family life and the land of DIY , thats the bonus of being 60 and kids leaving home . :D

You are correct about those ali rings being the mounting interface for the brake bosses. I do happen to have a spare set of those (NOS) if you're interested. Have to do some digging around my stash...

Re:

No rush , have you got a price in mind with postage to the UK . As i say no rush lots to do for the build , i know i'am a long way away but if i can help with any of your builds just ask ," you don't get if you don't ask ",i have a medium size lathe , milling machine and a few other machines , worked for Penske Racing Cars for 18 years when they were in the UK , and i make the 1/4" unf domed headed screws for the AMP forks ( no longer available from the USA ) again many thanks .

Re:

At work i run a CNC , of line programming using ONE CNC , look up RCV engines uav all made from solid !!!!!!!!!!! :shock:

Back