Let's see some Bontys

hollister":3n09quff said:
John":3n09quff said:
hollister":3n09quff said:
http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=3836&highlight=the+other+bontragers

and

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t ... bontragers

lets see some more detail shots of yours

Already scanned through these threads and not seen another similar frame. The seatclamp does look similar to that you've pictured which I assume is also the same as on Rumpfy's Cx bike > http://forums.mtbr.com/blog.php?do=showentry&e=1120

Unless for some reason this was done from new I'm guessing it will be a repair job :? Will get some better pics and put them up soon...
i dont think its a repair, think you found something cool :cool:

yeah the pic i posted is the samer type of collar as Rumpfy's

cx, but the cable routings different(i want that thing)

Glass half full = something cool
Glass half empty = repair job

:LOL:

That fb cx bike of rumpfys is REAL nice. Haven't you got a couple of fb'd Bonty's stashed away Hollister?

Some Q's to help us determine if factory or not

I love a good mystery bike like this!

Has it been faced on the BB and HT? Factory Faced first, then coated over.

Cable routing for the front mech is the later style for non-pulley. This was on 1995+

Geometry looks like it is for Suspension fork. 1995+ would be.

Any residue from edges of decal? This might show if it were chevron decals on it at any time.

Powder looks to be the stock purple that Bontrager offered. But could have been redone as it is a stock color.

Some frames woud fail when there was no gusset behind the seattube. Many local frame builders could do a fix on it. (Some pics of that area behind and a side shot could tell us more) Bonty gusset is square with a keyhole.

So far, it might be from the factory and might not - if not perhaps a one off or employee bike.

Or it might have been repaired by a local framebuilder and re-powdered purple. ;) ;)

I should say

1995 came stock with the gusset behind the seattube collar area - so perhaps it failed anyway and was repaired.

92-93 suffered with this problem, they had no gusset.

Thanks for the feedback chaps. DOne some more pics here > http://www.retrobike.co.uk/gallery2/mai ... emId=27441

Here's a closeup of the seatclamp area
main.php

The post is 27.0 as opposed to the standard 26.8, seattube lookes clean internally too. Guessing it's a repair and the builder and reamed the tube out a size larger.

Paint wise it's been resprayed.

Not managed to check bracket or headtube facing as yet. Frame serail is "6472" although IIRC these Bonty numbers had no bearing on anything.

Nicer looking than aluminum clamp . . .

Based on the round gusset I would say it is not done at factory - they had square gussets and would fit that area with a small modification.

But that clamp is deffo just like ones made by Keith in the 80's. But not unique to Bontrager, I have seen that clamp design on some other bikes.

So honestly cannot say for 100% . . . I'd lean towards locally done fix.

No matter what, looks great and it is interesting and unique.

You have a neat bike.

Hi John
As far as I remember, we sold this originally (From New) as a Race Lite with Full XT (old school), We are a Trek dealer and were also a Bontrager dealer Both Trek owned and Pre-Trek owned, it was quite a while ago, and a lot of water has passed under the bridge since then, can't remember whether is is Trek owned or Pre-Trek. I will contact a few people in the know at Trek UK and will let you know. One thing i can tell you is that it was resprayed by dave Yates, and may have had a seized seatpost removed at the same time, not 100% certain on that as we have another customer with an indentical one, who had a similar Problem / respray. Will keep you informed
Mart.

Re: er . . .

MrO, cheers for info.

mrorange":1d01bbcx said:
based on that seat post height - a little small for you?

Saddle height shown is not a riding one, had the post out to check the seattube.

Back