Kona Rove Ti 59 -> Salsa Warbird 2 (a different crack at it) p.7

Re: Kona Rove Ti 59 -> Kona Vulcano adventure

thanx chap! I'm gonna take some of that advice to heart.

I'm with you on the cranks. What I was primarily concerned with is durability, adaptability and ease of finding/fitting replacements. I think Sram groupo with mtb medium cage derailleur is the best bet in that case because I can change to a mtb crank and large cassette far easier than with Shimano. Also my hands only accept sram hoods (after +10 years riding nothing but). I am thinking however to change to White Industries VBC cranks in the future but for now i'll see how funds (and the cx-70) hold up.

I was actually quite stupified that I looked over the great/beautiful salsa regulator ti seatpost. I think it's a no brainer with this frame. Even though the kinked Thomson ain't a bad sight either imo.

I will run multiple sets of tires depending on use and occasion, so no worries! The new wtb gravel tires will be on for a test soon as well as the new almotion 40-622 tubeless touring tire from Schwalbe that i'm testing for the person who helped develop them :)

2014_03_09_10_31_08.jpg

ok guys, time has come to drop the final decision on the brakes.
hope you can help with my dilemma.

The TRP spyre slc I've ordered still didn't arrive, which according to trp is because they cannot fully cope with demand of the new (revised after recall) mk2 model. I'm leaving on a cycle tour to Istanbul 2 of april and wish to have the bike fully finished.

Here is the dilemma:

Either wait out (they are due within 1-2 weeks) or get the TRP Hy/rd instead.

I want advise on the following:

+potentially more breaking power (could be a big thing since I am quite underwhelmed by the current Hayes expert ones)
+even easier (or no) manual adjustment
-add around 100 grams to total bike weight compared to the spyre slc (not a weight weenie build but really don't care for any additional heft)
-I still don't have a lot of faith in hybrid mechanical/hydraulic solutions
-hy/rd is not my favorite looking brake
-hydraulic system potentially harder to fly with?

Let me know what you think!

Definitely cantis for touring to Istanbul. And a steel frame so it can be welded in a street garage. Just joking, but there
is some truth in using old tech for touring. What about the normal Spyre stocks - I mean it's only a carbon
arm that is different in the SL if I understand right? Otherwise, there's tried and tested BB7, but you must fit the right
G2 rotor. I would be concerned with having enough confidence on a hybrid solution without sufficient soak testing prior
to touring.

tnx chap :)

the slc is the only one that is stocked by the supplier. I just like the way they look a little better than the stock ones but I couldn't really choose in the first place. I just called and they promised the spyres will arrive next week. the hy/rd are already out of stock so i'll just have to see which one of them arrives first.

Re:

Have you tried different brake pads yet? They can make a world of difference.

I must applaud you for taking it on those cobblestones on the first test ride though. I know the area quite well (I used to live a few hundred feet from the corner where you took that picture) and really don't like riding there on a rigid because it's that shaky.
Or did you use the sidewalks? ;)

Re: Re:

Raging_Bulls":1kveqiqh said:
Have you tried different brake pads yet? They can make a world of difference.

I must applaud you for taking it on those cobblestones on the first test ride though. I know the area quite well (I used to live a few hundred feet from the corner where you took that picture) and really don't like riding there on a rigid because it's that shaky.
Or did you use the sidewalks? ;)

Hey a fellow antverpian!

with this devise the cobblestones are virtually non existent!

That said, I just ordered some (fatter) Clement x'plor 40x622 low knob gravel tires to boost the potential of this bike that I feel is somewhat limited by these semi-narrow slicks. This after I tried the Salsa Fargo that I build for a (very happy) customer!

Back