Kona Rove Ti 59 -> Salsa Warbird 2 (a different crack at it) p.7

Re: Kona Rove Ti 59 -> Kona Vulcano adventure

btw. Already de-stickered them since the read/screaming graphics really didn't seem to have a place

oh yea. Headset arrived today!!
Had to borrow an oversized (1.5") 'fork crown ring basher' (aka as Park Tool CRS-15) from another shop since I didn't want to risk a bodge job.

Finally will be able to build it up for a test fit!

Pictures tomorrow :cool:

Bashed it together.

-Forkcrown ring was a really tight fit!! (poor carbon fibres ! :shock: )
-Managed to get a fit I liked with a 110 mm stem and 30 mm of spacers.
did a testfit of the gear clabes and decided to criss-cross them in order to avoid cable rub on the head-tube. (better pics later)
-cut the steerer with some to spare for later ➡️ ➡️ ➡️
-had a first weigh in at 8.3 kilo as it stands.
-still lacking brakes, rotors and bar tape. (should add another +-500 gr in total).

First picture on the phone. proper ones will follow

2014_02_21_12_16_38.jpg

Re: Kona Rove Ti 59 -> Kona Vulcano adventure (pictures)

That's it! Waiting to be finished coming week.
next set of pictures will be on the dirt!

DSC_7039.jpg

DSC_7042.jpg

DSC_7045.jpg

DSC_7047.jpg

DSC_7048.jpg

DSC_7051.jpg

DSC_7067.jpg

DSC_7054.jpg

DSC_7057.jpg

stay tuned

First ride review:

Today I took out the Rove Ti for a first ride. It is a beautifully sunny day in the region of Antwerp although the temperature throughout the morning didn't hit over 8 degrees. The Rove (I haven't given it a proper name yet) took me for a 120 Km journey through the woods, paved and unpaved roads and also gladly back home. It is a wonderful ride to say the least. It is not as fast at high speed as my carbon racer, nor should it be for it's intended use. It is also not as light as my steel single speed steed, which does make itself clear uphills or fast surges. The fat(ish) tires are really supple and fast rolling and are among the best i've ever ridden. They add some weight, which can be felt but also add a lot of potential to take it off the beaten path so to speak. My first experience with Ti (next to my ti Brompton) is that it's a generous and lively ride. It's not lightning quick but it isn't sluggish either. One of the biggest differences I notice on the bike is actually the bars (salsa cowbell 2) with flare outward in the drops. It's an odd but not uncomfortable sensation. My wrists are in a more neutral position but i have a much wider stance, which takes some getting used to. It's like riding a Caddilac with a large and comfy (leather clad) steering wheel. My first experience on road disc brakes are slightly underwhelming. (I must say that is test ride is not featuring the TRP brakes that I will be using, instead featuring interim hayes pro cx). They work well, without issue. But is far from the direct and slightly overpowered feel I expected. To sum it up I would say I experienced some more modulation (some more space between on/off) with is quite satisfactory in short steep descends in the woods. Though there are other reason why I could become a advocate in using them. When back home I told my wife I was a little bit unimpressed with how the bike left me feel. Especially after a first ride when most would return with a huge smile on their faces! In turn trying to relativate the rather exuberant price tag. Yet when I came back from work in the shop I had changed my mind. The bike had left me less tired/fatigued than I would have otherwise been on my other bikes. It was very pleasurable, almost like a good (but quiet) friend to talk to. It is waiting for more and more adventurous rides in the future. It feels like it can take on more obstacles and push me for longer which is exactly what I plan to do with it. It holds momentum very well (In part thanks to the flawless wheels I build for it) and the sprighty character of the metal. I believe/hope that this bike is very versatile, strong and will inspire me to go places I wouldn't have gone without it. I hope that it will grow on me and that it will age nicely (with me). Now I realize a bike only reveal as much as you can show it to do. That'll make this story one to be continued!

I've been following this, and think you've done a great build (although if it was me, I'd change a few things of course)
as I've had a Ti Gravel Grinder on the short list for some time now and looking out for the right frame.

Your little test ride seems to have nailed what Ti is about - think about this, if they were "fast" and "stiff"
and "light" then the pros would all be riding them, but they don't, and I don't think it's all to do with
sponsorship either. They come into their own over longer distance with some rough stuff adding in the mix,
and ride similar to a nice steel frame but the big difference is they don't need any pampering.

I'm a bit split on discs for the road and even off-road / CX; they do need to be bedded in and the weak point is
the skinny contact area of a 35c on the ground. If riding in bad weather, then they will make more sense. I'll probably
be trying some of the TRP Spyre mechanicals at some point.

Woz":1ukl092v said:
I'm a bit split on discs for the road and even off-road / CX; they do need to be bedded in and the weak point is
the skinny contact area of a 35c on the ground. If riding in bad weather, then they will make more sense. I'll probably
be trying some of the TRP Spyre mechanicals at some point.

greatly appreciate your thoughts, thanks:)

Braking power are really down to tires in the end. I like the slicks I have on now but will be curious about the knobby tires in the future. I don't think the spyres will make much of a difference in braking power really. I just like their slim design/ two piston concept/ quality finish (i ordered the hi polish slc). Being able to replace pads easily and adjust them with inlines is also pretty sweet. Will let you know how they work for me.

you make me curious what you would have changed yourself

Yes, TRP seemed to have nailed it (albeit there was a recall :facepalm: ) to actually get both pads to move unlike BB7. A bad thing with BB7 is you've pretty much got to use the correct Avid rotors due to the wider brake track.

Anyway, since you ask, these would be my mods to your build if I was doing it for my rides and aesthetics:

Tyres: Definetly no slicks!
A semi-slick like Schwalbe Smart Sam 35C for hard-pack or a Kenda Small Block 8. Something from Continental
for knobbies, as wide as I could go.

Seat-post: Sorry, the Thomson with a kink is in my opinion dreadfull (you did ask!) Something like an Easton carbon
if you are not going to be jumping on and off the saddle a la CX with a healthy set-back of around 2.5cm, or
even a Ti post like the Moots / Van Nicholas with a gentle curve which will add even more smoothness to
the ride.

Cranks: Far to modern looking and let's not forget about the Shimano reputation for hardwearing rings. I
would look into the new Middleburn Road crankset. Not cheap, but you would have every option for
hardwearing chainrings and set-up you could possibly imagine. Must be black of course.

Transmission: I would use Shimano 105 black parts instead of SRAM, and Ti looks best
with a strong contrast - silver or grey somehow blends with the frame. The price quality level of 105
is fine for a bike that is going to get some off-road riding where durability is more of a factor than lightness.

Hubs: I would have gone with tried and tested older XT centerlock with XT 160mm centerlock rotors. Not as
high end, but you know where you are with them and easily serviceable.

Dustcaps: This is very important....they need to be black of course. :D

Job well done replacing the seat-clamp with a plain one and getting a nice plain stem with no silly logos!
Your XT pedal choice was spot on, they are my favorite :D

Back