Kona Rove Ti 59 -> Salsa Warbird 2 (a different crack at it) p.7

Re: Kona Rove Ti 59 -> Kona Vulcano adventure (Done, Images p.4)

darylcheshire":1xkm96qq said:
Thanks for your reply, yes it will be expensive, about $5000 without labour. The steel Rove could be purchased separately and the Ti frame comes later.

Possibly if I'm not building a dream bike but using standard parts would be considered a waste of a Ti frame. Maybe this bike would last for life and I can change things further down the track which would increase my knowledge and appreciation.
Funny you mention the Brookes saddle, I have a B17 on my electric bike.

Perhaps the modifications you suggest will benefit a standard Rove too.

I like your line of thinking. I like to sell bikes that grow on people. A lot of Kona's tend to do that. Both in terms of how (often) they ride them and how they become more involved in finding the right parts for the job. Whether or not you'd go for Ti the Rove is a beautifully versatile frame that can be used for many applications. Depending on using it to Commute, weekend ride, gravelrace or light bikepacking all would benefit from the better braking and the a comfortable perch. An added set of lighter wheels shod with different tires makes swapping between light (weekend/racy) /heavy (commute/touring) duties much easier. Choosing for ti on top of that will just add more comfy, unlimited winter use and save you about 1.5 kilos.

good luck with finding your desired route :p and keep us updated on your progress.

(if you like I can post a nice example of a custom (steel) Rove I sold, later this week)

I live near the sea and I keep my bikes indoors to avoid salt air corrosion.
A painted bike gains nicks and scratches and look terrible when rusted. Titanium is not painted and is impervious to atmospheric effects.
In my recollection, rusting usually starts on the screws and bike fittings, washing your bike regularly helps here.
I have the aluminium 2013 Dew Plus which doesn't rust and it's a lovely bike to ride. I don't know why, something to do with geometry. It is nicer than riding my electric bike without power which I do for exercise purposes.
I don't commute to work nor jump anything but I like riding bike paths and rail trails, which are gravel or bitumen.

i guess geometry is all that matters, and in your case also frame material. It's funny, for most people, just one Kona is not enough. Some people on this from can testify to that. For tow path, gravel roads and single track trails my rove is just an absolute monster :cool:. The fact that i don't need to puppy it (i.e. clean, wash and take serious care of it) also helps :D

Since I am overweight I doubt my ability to use drop bars, I should hire such a bike to check. That's why there is a goal as I think that a Rove will be easier if I'm narrower.
That's why I got a Dew Plus rather than a Honkey Tonk which is what I really had my eye on.
In reality, the titanium frame is unrealistic for me and just get the Rove when I can.
Speaking of more than one bike, I have the Dew Plus and the BH emotion Jet electric bike.
The electric bike got me off my ass and motivated and I got the Dew Plus to check that I can ride a normal bike at all. (I also suffer from asthma). I do not commute as it's too far and not safe.
Yes, I have no trouble riding the Dew Plus.
I have been riding the electric bike with no power nowadays except up hills and in a headwind but think in a few months the electric bike will have served it's purpose.
So when I get the Rove, will I get rid of the electric bike or the Dew Plus?
Sorry this is running off topic

darylcheshire":1iypizsv said:
Since I am overweight I doubt my ability to use drop bars, I should hire such a bike to check. That's why there is a goal as I think that a Rove will be easier if I'm narrower.
That's why I got a Dew Plus rather than a Honkey Tonk which is what I really had my eye on.
In reality, the titanium frame is unrealistic for me and just get the Rove when I can.
Speaking of more than one bike, I have the Dew Plus and the BH emotion Jet electric bike.
The electric bike got me off my ass and motivated and I got the Dew Plus to check that I can ride a normal bike at all. (I also suffer from asthma). I do not commute as it's too far and not safe.
Yes, I have no trouble riding the Dew Plus.
I have been riding the electric bike with no power nowadays except up hills and in a headwind but think in a few months the electric bike will have served it's purpose.
So when I get the Rove, will I get rid of the electric bike or the Dew Plus?
Sorry this is running off topic

I'm sure the Rove will serve you well, start with an inverted (upwards angled) stem and see how you fitness improves. It's not an all out racer anyways. It's more about stability and the steel will give you a fine ride quality too. I guess if you ask me to choose to stick with the electric vs town bike, it's all a matter of mentality. The best bike is the one you'll ride the most.

Good luck.

Re:

BFF

I've visited the Kona Europe HQ in Versoix, Switzerland and it was great to meet the designers, whom were super supportive in my upcoming Kona Vulcano adventure. I didn't have my own bike with me to show them so I send this photo of the finished article instead.

As it sits here is all ready for my mixed terrain training routines as I'm slowly gathering more VAM's.
It still has the cyclocross 46/36 chainset on it which will be replaced in time with a Sram x9 24-36 mtb double for the long hard (offroad) ascents.

On most of my long (300+ km) rides I take a Revelate Tangle frame bag for provisions and on hot and humid days I'm experimenting with two TT bottle cages behind the seat.

Some minor things have changed since the initial build. I've installed a new Bontrager Serano RL ti seat, Tune Ti QR skewers, Thomson x2 stem and experimented with several different tires. The ones that seam to stick are the Clement Xplor MSO 40mm for mixed terrain and the lightweight Clement Strada 28 for faster/paved riding. I've also purchased a Garmin 810 GPS navigation which, unlike the bike itself, is quite a stubborn beast to get along with!

Curious to hear what you guys think!

love to see the bike in daylight hopefully without too much background clutter

Titanium,
hope Pro2, gunsmoke colour...
thomson seattube and stem
disc brakes...

this bike is now, in my opinion, one of the most beautiful bike i've never seen!!!
amazing!

mattiamerca":2l78yqyv said:
Titanium,
hope Pro2, gunsmoke colour...
thomson seattube and stem
disc brakes...

this bike is now, in my opinion, one of the most beautiful bike i've never seen!!!
amazing!

tnx :) it rides a deam

Awesome Build! I got the idea for the decals on my Hei hei from your Rove =)

Back