Kona Rove Ti 59 -> Salsa Warbird 2 (a different crack at it) p.7

Re: Kona Rove Ti 59 -> Kona Vulcano adventure (DONE!)

How are they performing for you?

Woz":3e76pdza said:
How are they performing for you?

fantastic!

best (and probably last) cable actuated disc brake I ever used.
very immediate lever feel. easy set up. Even pad wear. sufficient bite with 160/140 rotor.
comparing this to the hayes ones i had on is like night and day. The design is very good
and lines up very nice with the full length cable stops on the frame.

C

Good news then! Really hope they do a MTB version too!

YES! That IS good news!

Re:

DSC_8825_2.jpg

DSC_8828.jpg

Re: Kona Rove Ti 59 -> Kona Vulcano adventure (Done, Images p.4)

mauna_loa_2.jpg

Twice the stem it used to be -> Thomson X2

mauna_loa_3.jpg

She got her new name too :D

Mauna Loa is Hawaiian for 'long mountain' and it's namesake
ascend is also my ultimate goal for this bike.

Re: Convert a steel Rove

Hi,

My plan after I met a fitness goal is to get the Rove 2014.

I'd like a titanium Rove but I'm not a bike builder.

Is it feasible to order the Rove Ti and ask the LBS to substitute the frame with the steel frame of the standard Rove.

This has the advantage that the Rove Ti is a real Rove with Kona components.
My concern is that to build a Rove Ti is that you'd have to use Non-Kona parts. I cannot determine if Kona parts can be ordered separately and I'm not a dealer.
Ideally it would be nice if Kona can offer a fully built Rove Ti with standard Rove components. say, a limited run..
I do realize the purists out there have lots of better ideas but I'm no expert and I don't have the parts and I'm not a weight weenie.

Im doing exactly that for a customer. He just purchased the standard Rove but a sudden increase of funds allowed him to upgrade to ti. I think for him it is great because it allowed him to fall in love with the bike before committing to it for a 'lifetime' with ti.

The only problem is that it's a comparably costly endeavor. paying 1600 euros for the bike and 1600 + fork and upgraded bearings for the ti frame. It all adds up to nearly 4000 euro. If you are concerned about parts fitting together when going full custom than that may all be fine, but to me (and a lot of other people building the ti unicorn dream bike) it is much of the fun. I'm sure your LBS can help you find a package of components that suit your needs. I think the standard rove is pretty well specced but there are some things you could upgrade to make it perform better and to make it just that little more special. TRP Spyre or hy/rd brakes (for increased stopping power), wheels & tires (for a little more acceleration/speed) or a brooks saddle (for the comfort and looks) spring to mind. I'd try to do it YOUR way as it'll make you love it and appreciate it a little more. If you are worried about components fitting together or not. Just drop us a line. We'd be happy to help.

Thanks for your reply, yes it will be expensive, about $5000 without labour. The steel Rove could be purchased separately and the Ti frame comes later.

Possibly if I'm not building a dream bike but using standard parts would be considered a waste of a Ti frame. Maybe this bike would last for life and I can change things further down the track which would increase my knowledge and appreciation.
Funny you mention the Brookes saddle, I have a B17 on my electric bike.

Perhaps the modifications you suggest will benefit a standard Rove too.

Back