Kona Kula 1996 - rest in pieces - KARMA DRAW IS UP!

Re: Kona Kula 1996 - the last b*stard

It's got a nice, new Nukeproof seat-post now (decent price at ChainReaction). It's defo 27.2mm and not 27.0mm - my bodge worked for 2 days :LOL:

4 days in and the difference in feel is really notable. It's dull, but giving and lighter so a better frame for it's day to day use. I still feel dirty using something as good as this on the road but hey - needs must.

I like it,it looks fast...How are the rims lasting?? was thinking of them for my AA build maybe..

I've got one of these that i picked up recently. The gold really sparkles. Not had a run out on it yet but its def a nice looking machine.

BikerB":ewl74877 said:
I like it,it looks fast...How are the rims lasting?? was thinking of them for my AA build maybe..

Generally good, the rims last very well (remembering not to hammer the brakes too much) the hubs less so. I have to replace (the wheel-set - it's just more cost effective) every 18 months or so, even with servicing they just wear out. Have I mentioned I use it a lot? ;)

haggis":ewl74877 said:
I've got one of these that i picked up recently. The gold really sparkles. Not had a run out on it yet but its def a nice looking machine.

It does. It's got a bit more sparkle than the 96 Cinder Cone but not as yellow or stand-out as the 97 Explosif.

al-onestare":2qri0jji said:
This will be the last Kona MTB framed commuter I'll own. When it fails I'll invest in a <spit> road bike.

W2vFNR.jpg

giphy.gif

That time has come. Rest in pieces the best commuter frame I've had so far. It outlasted each of the Cinder Cone steel frames and by my guess covered over 16k miles. The crack at the bottom of the seatube and BB weld got a little larger last week after a tough winter. Half way home last night I felt things get very wobbly and it'd literally split right around the entire down-tube. She'll make some great wall-art for the man-cave.

So, I raise a glass to Kula and move onto something more suitable for my legs and terrain.

Some other stats during those 16k miles:

- The Hope BB I transferred from the previous bike to this is still going strong :shock: Before that, I was getting through XT BB's every 3-6 months.
- I've got through 3 pairs of wheels. Modern hubs are gash.
- But the dual control XT shifters work very well and are still smooth.
- I had to replace the drive-train every 6-9 months.
- I'd get through tyres every 9-12 months.
- The best joke are modern V brake pads. Even with the hardest compound, in the wet months - of which we have many - I'll be getting through them every 30-60 days. Hopeless!

Re: Kona Kula 1996 - rest in pieces &lt;sadface&gt;

R.I.P 96 Kula - give her a warm and cosy place on the wall

I hope mine will last some more years - although I think that I will never reach you km ;-)

al-onestare":3db0irz1 said:
get yerself a Kinesis T3 or 4S. Ideal tool for the job.

Have a wild guess what brand I'll be buying :LOL:[/quote]

i've got 5 digit mileages on a T2. Love it.

Back