GTTurbo's Titan 1/2 Trac

Great progress! Good luck with the weight shedding! You'll need all the weight-weenie & ti-bits you can get! 😜

I wonder what created the damage to the paint on the drive-side loop stay??? Certainly zero chain-slap on an elevated stay frame!

Great progress! Good luck with the weight shedding! You'll need all the weight-weenie & ti-bits you can get! 😜

I wonder what created the damage to the paint on the drive-side loop stay??? Certainly zero chain-slap on an elevated stay frame!
I think the paint damage was probably just poor storage/lack of care. From the pictures of how I got it I think it's fair to say it has been a while since it was someones pride and joy.

Weight wise I think you may be pleasantly surprised. Watch this space.

Really interesting build.

You mention in your first post that you have been able to acquire many of your teenage dream bikes from the early 90’s - very interesting - we must be similar age. How has the ‘meet your heroes’ experience been? Have all the bikes lived up to your expectations? Also can you still ride them comfortably given the early 90’s geometry and riding positions (?!)

Last question - can you recommend any good sources for titanium bolts/fasteners? I would like to get some but haven’t been able to find anywhere.

Looking forward to seeing more on this build!

Really interesting build.

You mention in your first post that you have been able to acquire many of your teenage dream bikes from the early 90’s - very interesting - we must be similar age. How has the ‘meet your heroes’ experience been? Have all the bikes lived up to your expectations? Also can you still ride them comfortably given the early 90’s geometry and riding positions (?!)

Last question - can you recommend any good sources for titanium bolts/fasteners? I would like to get some but haven’t been able to find anywhere.

Looking forward to seeing more on this build!
Nothing terrible as yet but not been blown away by anything either. However I do ride modern bikes so I think it's unlikely that any of the retros are going to compare to my modern 29er so maybe my expectations have changed too much.

Ti bolts is a good question these days. Pre covid Toronto cycles was fantastic and had all the little ti and alloy bits you could ever want. They closed when covid hit and never seemed to re-open. For generic ti and alloy bolts I use people like ProBolt in the UK. For the more specific bike parts then it's either the classifieds on here or ebay mainly. Quite often it's just a case of right place right time to grab bits.

Back