Re:

Ok, 1990 donor has arrived - with a stuck seat post. The plan is:

- Plus Gas down inside the seat tube repeated over a few days
- plumbers freeze spray on the post
- hold it in the vice
- HEAVE!

SP

Re:

Drill through seatpost, insert a large screwdriver/metal lever...

And pull out like a cork from a wine bottle...

Worked on a pals Canonndale M700...

Re:

Two days of Plus Gas and a bloody big pipe wrench got it out :twisted: In the end I clamped the wrench in the vice and turned the frame by hand. I have drilled through a post before - but it weakened and cracked off :(

Now I'm going to rebuild the Lava Dome and ride it for a bit to see if I like it before spending money on a new paint job.

SP

Re:

OK, minger #2 has arrived at SP towers. Unlike the 1994 Cinder Cone this is the correct year and geometry. However despite having the same length seat tube as my 1990 Cinder Cone, the head tube is 6" - 1/2" shorter. My Fire Mountain head tube is also 6" so I assume the Lava Dome and Fire Mountain are 19" as per the catalogue and the Cinder Cone is a 20" I will compare the top tubes at some point.

I bought this old dog from eBay : http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Kona-Lava-Dom ... 7675.l2557

I have great reluctance to re-spray the splatter paint frames as they were hand finished but as this is boring white who gives a fig? After the seatpost gave up I could see that inside it was pretty clean and solid. The marks on the chainstay are superficial and with a bit of prep before paint shouldn't be noticeable. Racin'snake had some great karma and sent me a set of wheels, the seat post is on it's way, as is a chain. The tyres are some Z-maxs' that are a bit crispy but ok. I REALLY need a new stem or a top-cap for the Velocity stem pictured - please help! It is a 1" headset, needs a cable hanger preferably and ~120mm long.

The plan is to build it first then ride it a bit. IF it suits me then I think a black powder coat and a set of fresh Lava Dome decals will be in order. I will then splatter as per the Explosif - i.e. it'll have an Explosif paint job but still clearly a Lava Dome and a unique one at that. :D The Suntour stuff will get sold on and replaced with some lovely period Shimano.

SP

Attachments

• Doner_Dome_D.JPG
    Doner_Dome_D.JPG
    116.7 KB · Views: 292
  • Doner_Dome_ND.JPG
    Doner_Dome_ND.JPG
    119.2 KB · Views: 292
When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Re:

Lad at the shop opposite me at work has a knackered one of these...

He even has a trailer for stock :)

Splatter atill looks good!

Re:

Slow progress:

➡️ Confirmed Gil has the decals in stock, his size sheet is a bit different from my decals so need to photograph mine with a scale bar and send them over prior to powder coating

➡️ My Dad machined a new stem top plug out of stainless steel to resurrect a Velocity stem as the original ICR one had cracked :( The stem plug took ages to machine and had to be made out of two pieces and silver-soldered together - cheers Dad :D

➡️ Thought long and hard about the build - but not made any decisions :facepalm: I did buy some DX brakes cheap though! I have a donor bike lined up on eBay so need to get sniping....

Stems below, Velocity from the Explosif and Cinder Cone, the ICR from the Lava Dome and a Fire Mountain stem, all from 1990.

SP

Attachments

• 1990_stems.jpg
    1990_stems.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 255
Re: Kona Faux-splosif - new donor bike here...

Please excuse my naivety - I just assumed that Velocity stems were all 1 1/8th" - I have recently developed an interest in getting a Kona from the Joe Murray era - when did the headset go over to 1 and 1/8th?

Back