Kona Explosif help needed

juhadels

Retro Newbie
Hello!

I bought this old mtb about 10 years ago from friend. I don't anything about this bike but i heard that this frame is good.

Anyone who knows anything about this frame. I know basics about bikes, but this frame is interesting.
Only thing what i know that frame is old.

Please post some info. Or email me juhadels@gmail.com Thanks
Juha / Finland
juhadels@gmail.com konani.jpg

Does it fit you? That´s an excellent frame if it fits you right AND if you have a good fork, rigid or susp, AND the right size stem, right size bars, AND light, stiff wheels AND a comfortable saddle.
A good, middle of the road steel frame will feel superb when built right and the most expensive titanium will work badly if it does not fit right.

Does it fit you? That´s an excellent frame if it fits you right AND if you have a good fork, rigid or susp, AND the right size stem, right size bars, AND light, stiff wheels AND a comfortable saddle.
A good, middle of the road steel frame will feel superb when built right and the most expensive titanium will work badly if it does not fit right.
Thanks.
Sounds like a winter project. Any idea about price, only frame. Do you know year model?

1993ish but looks like it might be a year earlier with some 'kona' bits modernised..
I could look harder at the details But just get the serial number under the Bottom. Bracket area. (big shell with crank axle going through it).

That front mech doesn't work on that bike, you either have to damage the tubing or set the mech too high, it looks set way too high..
That's just a for your information.
The frames great, top of the standard range.

'91 or '92 Kona Explosif Black by the looks of it. Doesn't look like many (if any) original parts remain. Nice frame though.
92 Explosif 'Pro' (hence black) was what I thought at first but decals say 1993 and I couldn't be bothered to check if anyone had a black version (the 1991 had the integrated binder and it doesn't look chopped off).
Not zoom in to look for tell tales.

Dent in the top tube looks not too bad. Great riding bikes, they just want to go forwards with minimal rider input. I have the '91/'92 with P2 forks and some V brakes I added, ride it everywhere and it's the one I reach for out of all my bikes.
Here's mine for reference...

With the fluted downtube and stickers looks like a 93, I think the European ones were sometimes solid colours that year versus the UK two tone. Although the seat and dog colour are the 95 Matt silver style, 93 normally black. As noted above most parts don’t appear to be original.

Back