Kona Explosif 1997 team edition

Re: Kona Explosif 1997 team edition - hens teeth

Adam_S":2ffremak said:
Would this be what you're going to try and replicate?

jun-1997-roland-green-rides-a-bike-during-the-mountain-bike-world-cup-picture-id1397532

As a side note, did you know that the other Explosif you have is actually wearing 1996 Kona team colours? It's called Kona Team Mustard FWIW.

Thanks for the reshare : viewtopic.php?f=9&t=258460 ;-)

The other Explosif I have is definitely a 97 model.

Anyway, that's an ace shot of Roland and adds another layer of decision making! I'd dismissed the metallic green atom Z2's because I didn't think they complimented the colour scheme. Well, that's out the window.

The green custom coloured versions are a flat colour, almost too green and not like the mushy pea green of the rasta flames. Roland riding this set indicates that they didn't have many of them in the garage and for me confirms 100% it was a custom colour.

I will try and upload the better scans I have from the US 1998 catalogue that show this is more detail.

FluffyChicken":2ffremak said:
And you can have a chat to the lady who put the catalogues together on the 80/90s Facebook group if you want.

Please could you let me know who that is via PM :)

FWIW that's the 1997 team colours not the 1998. Kona seem to have a habit of using the team colours from the previous year in their brochures, which kind of makes sense when you think about when the thing would have to be produced. Here's an image from the 1997 catalogue which clearly shows the rider on a 1996 frame wearing 1996 colours.

Exactly, it's the 97 paint schema but the jerseys are 98. The one you share on the UK price list is the 97 jersey on a 96 bike. In other words, the timing of the catalogue shots meant the team were usually riding old bikes with new jerseys. You'll see this captured perfectly by Dave Wiens riding a '96 Hei Hei in rasta flames with the '98 jersey later on!

Re: Re:

Canuck":xnctm1f4 said:
Congrat's Al, very, very nice!

Reckon a nice set of Turbine's would be a good substitute to M950's

Cheers man :)

That's a good shout considering it has a RaceFace decal on the rear triangle.

Shird4.jpg

And where have I seen that look before? ;) :LOL:

YVP1ji.jpg

^^^ proper team bike ^^^

The green and yellow jersey is definately not a 98. When I bought the old Explosif in 1997 I was sad enough to get the full Kona team kit at the same time and it was the same yellow and green as in the photo.

Adam_S":41geb7o0 said:
The green and yellow jersey is definately not a 98. When I bought the old Explosif in 1997 I was sad enough to get the full Kona team kit at the same time and it was the same yellow and green as in the photo.

I promise you, it's 98. The 97 kit is the blue, orange and yellow, the green black and yellow is the 10 year 1998 anniversary livery. It's a timing thing. They can get away with covering up old bikes in new livery but not clothing which was easier and quicker to knock-up.

I'm going to dig my heels in here and disagree.

Here's the blue and orange...

vintage-sugoi-mens-kona-pro-team-short-sleeve-mountain-cycling-bike-jersey-s-m-978d162c2505cb5df5277cfca1638210.jpg

...and here's the yellow and green.

20052149895_580635957d_b.jpg

If you look at the Kona logo, the blue and orange matches the font for the 1996 frames...

1996_kona_explosif_catalogue.jpg

...but the font for the 1997 logo is different, the same as on the green and yellow jersey.

1997_king_kahuna.jpg

The green and yellow has the Columbus logo on it. Columbus were a team sponsor in 1997 but in 1998 Kona switched to Reynolds tubing for their top steel bikes so it would seem odd for Columbus to have their logo on the 1998 kit.

Srsly though, I got the yellow and green in 1997. I remember think how I looked the absolute dog's nuts riding around in it on my new Explosif.

:cool: wow, thats a great find al - you must be over the moon with it (I would ;) )

looking forward to see that build - team bike replica ??

Adam_S":1odhfzxx said:
I'm going to dig my heels in here and disagree.

Here's the blue and orange...

vintage-sugoi-mens-kona-pro-team-short-sleeve-mountain-cycling-bike-jersey-s-m-978d162c2505cb5df5277cfca1638210.jpg

...and here's the yellow and green.

20052149895_580635957d_b.jpg

If you look at the Kona logo, the blue and orange matches the font for the 1996 frames...

1996_kona_explosif_catalogue.jpg

...but the font for the 1997 logo is different, the same as on the green and yellow jersey.

1997_king_kahuna.jpg

The green and yellow has the Columbus logo on it. Columbus were a team sponsor in 1997 but in 1998 Kona switched to Reynolds tubing for their top steel bikes so it would seem odd for Columbus to have their logo on the 1998 kit.

Srsly though, I got the yellow and green in 1997. I remember think how I looked the absolute dog's nuts riding around in it on my new Explosif.

All I'll say is, in those catalogues for each respective year, 96 and 97, check out the clothing that's advertised: 97 = orange, yellow and blue, 98 = black, green and yellow. Also check out the print advertising for the 98 season; it's all on the yellow, green and black background / schema. This is just one example, the famous Stab ad's: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=332607

Kona can be funny buggers sometimes but they'd be mad to advertise prior year clothing in current year catalogues. They can get away (for the most past) with disguising bikes which they did frequently. Check out the drop-outs on the 97 Explosif shot for example: clearly a 96 re-painted in 97 gold mustard.

This is exactly the story we'll be uncovering!!

Some indicators here: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=160054
And here: viewtopic.php?t=158995

There's lots more to come on this one :mrgreen:

btw. and maybe most interesting - any history known ?

former Grundig XC world cup bike - which rider, aso.

magas":2x8nymm2 said:
btw. and maybe most interesting - any history known ?

former Grundig XC world cup bike - which rider, aso.

Patience my good man, patience ;) :D

Back