Kona Explosif 1997 team edition

Re: Kona Explosif 1997 team edition - hens teeth

This is amazing! I'm so pleased to see that it's reached you in such good condition. I can't wait to see the build slowly take shape. While keeping it team specific sounds amazing I suspect it'll be a crazy amount of money to source the parts. As far as the forks go I'd get a decent set of bombers and repaint the lowers. The decals are easy to come by and you should be able to find a pretty good colour match. I reckon it'll be a lot cheaper than sourcing some originals!

markwashington":sovwmz3g said:
This is amazing! I'm so pleased to see that it's reached you in such good condition. I can't wait to see the build slowly take shape. While keeping it team specific sounds amazing I suspect it'll be a crazy amount of money to source the parts. As far as the forks go I'd get a decent set of bombers and repaint the lowers. The decals are easy to come by and you should be able to find a pretty good colour match. I reckon it'll be a lot cheaper than sourcing some originals!

You see, that would make sense wouldn't it.

Except, I've gone off any kind of repainting. It's never as good unless it's done by an amazing firm or artist and you have the original decals (reproductions are never as good either) and for that, you pay top dollar, so why not be patient and wait for the right ones.

Well that's what I'm telling myself. No half-measures here, not this time. I made that mistake on the current Explosif.

oooo top tube rear routing, someone got it right for kona at last.

I know what you mean about repainting it never usually looks as good. I replaced decals on a set of Z2s about 5 years ago and was able to get a set from Windwave (I think) for less than £20. I can't remember the exact price but they were the real deal. I've never seen a set of the green ones for sale but it'd look amazing if you could get them. You'd have to keep the battle damage on them though as they'll have been raced!

Re:

Congrat's Al, very, very nice!

Reckon a nice set of Turbine's would be a good substitute to M950's

Would this be what you're going to try and replicate?

jun-1997-roland-green-rides-a-bike-during-the-mountain-bike-world-cup-picture-id1397532

FWIW that's the 1997 team colours not the 1998. Kona seem to have a habit of using the team colours from the previous year in their brochures, which kind of makes sense when you think about when the thing would have to be produced. Here's an image from the 1997 catalogue which clearly shows the rider on a 1996 frame wearing 1996 colours.

1997+Kona+UK+Pricelist.jpg

As a side note, did you know that the other Explosif you have is actually wearing 1996 Kona team colours? It's called Kona Team Mustard FWIW.

Re:

And you can have a chat to the lady who put the catalogues together on the 80/90s Facebook group if you want.

Re:

Pretty sure this is a thread about a "Kona Explosif 1997 team edition" - yep, that's what the thread says

Nice pic of Boom Boom :cool:

Back