Kona Explosif 1997 team edition

Re: Kona Explosif 1997 team edition: finished (P16)

I don't think I ever shared some of the backstory on how I got the frame and some of the chat that surrounded the bike appearing on ebay. I hadn't seen the auction until it was too late and our good friend H1v9a8c8 was the guy who pulled the trigger. Luckily for me, it was too big for him but I didn't know this. In fact, he and Pip were chatting offline about something else and when talk turned to this frame and the size, Pip - the absolute gent he is - kindly suggested that if he was thinking of selling, he knew I'd be interested.

H1v9a8c8 got in touch and I had the hardest 10 minutes of my RB life as I tried to formulate an offer that a) didn't take the piss and b) didn't break my wallet! In the end it was pretty simple - not cheap but very fair - and H1v9a8c8 kindly accepted. The rest is history!

This is the thread that started on the CLASSIC MTB trading center (Facebook). As you can see this was a wanted ad for a Stab but you'll see how it develops. I've edited out peoples surnames but you'll figure out who I am :LOL: I thought this might add to the story and modern day history of the frame, it does go off tangent and highlights how people can be really dumb but stick with it. In fact reading it again has reminded me there's another lead on the 'who designed the rasta flames?' question.

YVfYB3.jpg

DXhyzm.jpg

4j4MB3.jpg

WCwTRZ.jpg

HTU8NP.jpg

iVvYPZ.jpg

CcPlrs.jpg

ieKsjo.jpg

ud9X0w.jpg

0n3LE8.jpg

Phew!

:LOL: thank you for sharing that, made my morning reading some of those comments :LOL:
Interesting to read about where the design came from, if that is true!?
Ive been thinking about painting one of my frames for a while now, hmmmm :cool:

Mark

Re:

Maiden voyage step 2. I've never been so nervous before a flight :shock: :facepalm:

I keep telling myself it'll be worth it.

MPOKAm.jpg

Say it is your handluggage and take it with you into the plane.

Btw, where are you two off to?

Dare":2auj6yvd said:
Say it is your handluggage and take it with you into the plane.

Btw, where are you two off to?

Sadly she exceeds the hand luggage dimensions ;-)

Now that would be telling. All will be revealed...

Re: Re:

Dare":1k30cgeg said:
......Btw, where are you two off to?

I believe I am correct in saying that I am likely to be the only member on here who Al has shared this with - I could be wrong with that assumption, but I certainly AIN'T saying where he and the bike are off to.

al-onestare":1k30cgeg said:
Maiden voyage step 2. I've never been so nervous before a flight :shock: :facepalm:

I keep telling myself it'll be worth it.

My cautious advice was not to do this trip at all with the bike :shock: ..... although I see that my suggestion on a type of case has been heeded.

Good luck Al - and I think I speak for everybody when I say we all await the pictures.

Pip.

:cool: i think i have guessed, but maybe wrong, usually am :roll:
Anyway, wherever you are taking the bike i look forward to seeing the pictures, you did pack a camera didnt you!? :shock:

Have fun

Mark

Re:

Cheers all. Pip, your words were ringing in my ears when I saw her disappear on the excessive luggage conveyor belt.

Needless to say I spent over 3 hours packing her. Nothing is rattling around in there I can tell you!

I've got some old MBUK stickers to adorn the case to go with the others.

#prayformykona

That's an awesome bike box. It's never easy trusting your precious to the baggage monkeys, is it?

Re:

My heart rate is back to normal. She wasn't the only one on-board as it turned out. A quick scan in the evening before I crashed, then this morning post-run, everything is as it should be and no issues. Just one of the securing straps had loosened a little but the extra packing I placed protected the frame. Roll on Thursday when I can finally get to grips with her.

v68YJU.jpg

Back