Kona Explosif 1997 team edition

Re: Kona Explosif 1997 team edition: building & collecting

al-onestare":asfypxgq said:
1Qz5Dn.jpg

I can't stop looking at it and asking do I really own this? :shock:

:cool: i cant stop looking at it now :facepalm: very nice :cool:

I know this has probably been covered but im curious, this is a '97 team bike in team colours, right? did they ever paint any other year team bikes in team colours? '96 for example, or whatever year the orange/yellow/blue kit was out :)

Mark

Re: Kona Explosif 1997 team edition: building & collecting

I'm feeling a bit like Roland at the moment...

aKTxXN.jpg

Pic's incoming :)

mkone":9zvnw2um said:
:cool: i cant stop looking at it now :facepalm: very nice :cool:

I know this has probably been covered but im curious, this is a '97 team bike in team colours, right? did they ever paint any other year team bikes in team colours? '96 for example, or whatever year the orange/yellow/blue kit was out :)

Mark

That's a great question. Let me do some digging around. I had assumed that it was part of the 10 year anniversary. You're right that it was the only time, up until then, that the team had a specific livery and weren't riding stock coloured frames. I suspect that was partly born out of the 'disguise' but also because of the celebrations. They went back to stock colours over the next year few years but after that I'm afraid that's outside my sphere of knowledge.

H1v9a8c8":9zvnw2um said:
Looks amazing. Great job with the build.

Without you none of this would have happened, so massive thanks for pulling the trigger when you did :D

Re: Kona Explosif 1997 team edition: finished (P16)

As promised here are her show-off shots :D

9CIwqY.jpg

Y2AF7K.jpg

54nxl4.jpg

PhCmlU.jpg

OkKvYP.jpg

kX4JC2.jpg

MA0ZaR.jpg

b0HGRd.jpg

2wwlWf.jpg

819FpV.jpg

F0MzP6.jpg

3lNchm.jpg

zpMRsA.jpg

xGprkB.jpg

RHWwGU.jpg

b2wDrk.jpg

xrmyNr.jpg

z9bKsw.jpg

8zGrea.jpg

QTyCyT.jpg

RanFQu.jpg

Z5kGcI.jpg

LLenvX.jpg

HWEPdJ.jpg

TyFll6.jpg

XuWgz8.jpg

To say I'm over the moon is an understatement. When I picture a build in my head and when I get to the end, it doesn't always come together. Whilst I'm really proud of the Caldera, the colour of the forks and the saddle isn't quite right with the colour of the frame decals. But looking at this, it's way beyond my expectation. My goal was to complement the frame with a mix of the best equipment of the era with little references to what the team might have used or actually rode with. In my eyes, I got there, just!

At this point I would like to thank the following members who parted with their knowledge, support and in some cases, their own stash of top-end equipment! Big, big thanks to:

H1v9a8c8
Canuck
Wadsy
Adam_S
PeteC
ratcapa
John - aka the guv'nor
thekidmalone

but most of all, huge thanks to Pip and FairFaxPat. Pip was there every step of the way behind the scenes, providing some great ideas and different perspectives. Pat, well, you'll see over the next few weeks why he's the man :D

She's a beaut! What's next? Maybe that elusive King Kahuna?

Very special :cool:

When you were building it i had doubts, well thoughts, on different components that i thought could/should be used. But seeing it finished i cant see anything that looks out of place. The silver bars go with the crown and cranks and even the forks seem to blend nicely with the colours. The wheels too just work really well. Its a nice change to see something different, and surely this months BOTM winner ;)

Mark

Cheers all!

BOTM? Hmmm, not sure it's the right sort of bike for that competition. There's an allergic reaction to anything older than 1995 ;-)

Latest posts

Back