Kona Explosif (1989) now rebuilt!

Re:

Looks like the correct stem to me

Re:

I bought a saddle, took the seatpost off for polishing (done after the pic) and bought some pedals. I though they would be about the same colour as the seat post - but they're not :roll: I gave the shin-mashers fitted when I got it to my Dad :D Next job, brakes off for a clean and polish.

SP

Attachments

• Pedals.JPG
    Pedals.JPG
    73 KB · Views: 443
  • Seatpost.JPG
    Seatpost.JPG
    54.5 KB · Views: 443
  • Saddle_Back.JPG
    Saddle_Back.JPG
    48.2 KB · Views: 443
  • Saddle_Side.JPG
    Saddle_Side.JPG
    55.1 KB · Views: 443
Re:

Brake callipers done! They cleaned up quite nicely although I found out the front pinch bolt had been helicoiled :shock: NOS XT pads on the rear :cool:

Attachments

• Rear_Post.JPG
    Rear_Post.JPG
    80.9 KB · Views: 384
  • Rear_Pre.JPG
    Rear_Pre.JPG
    99.2 KB · Views: 384
  • Front_Done.JPG
    Front_Done.JPG
    93.4 KB · Views: 384
Re:

Chainset next, oh dear, it all went wrong from this point. Firstly I noticed that the left crank arm is not MT-60 like the drive side, which I hadn't spotted earlier. The rings also looked quite worn and might not be salvageable. :( Oh well I thought, clean it all up and look for a left-hand MT-60 crank arm. Then I saw the damage - looks like a chisel was used! So I have a set of M730 crank arms coming for a replacement.

The bottom bracket I didn't get photos of, but was a disaster. The lock ring had been mashed with pump pliers or similar instead of a c-spanner. When I fitted a c-spanner it was locked solid, I was putting so much pressure on it I damaged teeth - nothing would shift it. :x I heated it up with a hot-air paint stripper gun and tried again, still nothing. Finally I resorted to cutting the damn thing off with a hack-saw.

At this stage I was expecting more grief, but actually the cups came out dead easy. However the axle was heavily worn. Then I took the bearings out and saw they had been fitted back to front - the axle was running on the bearing cage - not the balls :facepalm: arrrg! Needless to say the cups are stuffed, totally pitted and worn out. I then pulled the plastic spacer out the bottom bracket shell, to find it didn't have a hole in, so when grease had been pumped through the grease nipple it had been diverted into the chain stays!

I had a spare Tange BB in the spares box, so will use the Deore axle with the Tange cups and hopefully it'll all be ok. Mechs next.

SP

Attachments

• mashed.JPG
    mashed.JPG
    81.2 KB · Views: 377
  • rings.JPG
    rings.JPG
    94.5 KB · Views: 377
  • Chainset_bk.JPG
    Chainset_bk.JPG
    117.1 KB · Views: 377
  • Chainset_frnt.JPG
    Chainset_frnt.JPG
    110.6 KB · Views: 377
Re: Kona Explosif - 1989

that looks a right mess ! :facepalm:
How did you get the grease out of the chainstays ?

Re:

Done! Almost all original components kept, including cable outers and cassette. Stem has been re-painted gloss black as per the original, sadly the bars were scored near the stem and had to be binned. :( I managed to find an original saddle and grips andSpesh sold me his Timbuk II tyres to complete the build.

SP

Attachments

• F_Dent.JPG
    F_Dent.JPG
    56.4 KB · Views: 327
  • F_Explosif.JPG
    F_Explosif.JPG
    57 KB · Views: 327
  • F_Fence_NDrive.JPG
    F_Fence_NDrive.JPG
    121 KB · Views: 327
  • F_Fence_Drive.JPG