Kona Cinder Cone 1994: Ugly Duckling

Splatter Paint

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
Before I bought it I had never seen a grey 1994 Cinder Cone before. I've called it Ugly Duckling because it was indeed ugly and cignets are grey. Now it is time to make it look like a swan - though I'm not painting it white!

On eBay, it was described as a 'large mountain bike frame'. Clearly someone had had a go at upgrading and had converted it to 9 speed. Cycle mechanics weren't their forte and it was in a bit of a state mechanically. :facepalm: Still, they had the foresight to grease the seat post, and with the help of LGF's bottom bracket removal method it all came apart relatively easily. I need to re-fit the lower race of the headset and get building. A Velocity stem is on it's way in the post along with some straddle wires and a set of cantis. I think I have everything to build it up - after I've robbed my ride to work bike of its retro parts and fitted the 9 speed this came with that is :D

I've never owned a Kona between 1991 and 2005 so it'll be an interesting comparison to my 1989 and 1990 models.

SP

Attachments

• 1994_Cinder_2.jpg
    1994_Cinder_2.jpg
    120.2 KB · Views: 1,446
  • 1994_Cinder_1.jpg
    1994_Cinder_1.jpg
    118.2 KB · Views: 1,445
  • Kona_Minger.jpg
    Kona_Minger.jpg
    127.2 KB · Views: 1,445
Re:

More

Attachments

• 1994_Cinder_5.jpg
    1994_Cinder_5.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 1,437
  • 1994_Cinder_4.jpg
    1994_Cinder_4.jpg
    113.5 KB · Views: 1,436
  • 1994_Cinder_3.jpg
    1994_Cinder_3.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 1,437
I think you're being a bit over-critical with the paintwork. A deep cleanse, autosol polish with a wax finish should bring it up well. It's not a common colour over here either. The black and silver schema could look really stealth-like with some decent components.

Re:

Why DO kids get up so early? I even let them stay up later last night in the hope I'd get a lie in :x Anyway, while Postman Pat is on, here's an update. A quick PM to Raidan73 procured a stem and a set of cantis and some eBaying and a trip to Halfords got the rest - all in time for the weekend :D The parts cost more than the bike though :facepalm: Saturday morning as the sun rises the Duckling looks a bit better - certainly more retro, and my station hack is now running 9 speed, which is a bonus.

doctorstewie: It's a 19"

al-onestare: Friday I night T-Cut all over then Autoglym wax polished, Impact headset was re-sprayed and alloy seat clamp and dog collar polished up. :D

SP

Attachments

• Cinder_Sunrise2.JPG
    Cinder_Sunrise2.JPG
    121.5 KB · Views: 1,331
  • Cinder_Sunrise.JPG
    Cinder_Sunrise.JPG
    129.6 KB · Views: 1,332
  • Cinder_Parts.JPG
    Cinder_Parts.JPG
    74.1 KB · Views: 1,331
No such thing as an ugly Kona. Except maybe the '95 Hei Hei with the non-Kona geometry of course.

Back