Koga Miyata Ridge Runner (1986)

A short ride out today to test and make sure it all works and now saddle and bars and grips are all adjusted to fit. It's very comfortable. A few jobs left to complete, not least the front rack. At least the mudguard stays are all cut to the right length now - that was a fiddly job.

IMG_20230225_162436_627_3.jpg

It's so important to get the seat height alignment to the handlebars on Kogas. It took me a long time and quite a few minor adjustments to get it right.

You'll know when you've got it right and personally, I found another minor adjustment that helped was to tip the handlebars down about 10 degrees pretty much like Jones bars. It transforms the way it rides.

So comfortable and breezes along. Mine is the alu version with front shocks. It must be the Miyata influence as they made the fillet brazed frames on mine and most of the others.

Undoubtedly, the best bike I've ever owned and it's not steel !

It's so important to get the seat height alignment to the handlebars on Kogas. It took me a long time and quite a few minor adjustments to get it right.

You'll know when you've got it right and personally, I found another minor adjustment that helped was to tip the handlebars down about 10 degrees pretty much like Jones bars. It transforms the way it rides.

So comfortable and breezes along. Mine is the alu version with front shocks. It must be the Miyata influence as they made the fillet brazed frames on mine and most of the others.

Undoubtedly, the best bike I've ever owned and it's not steel !
Thanks, I will try that out on a longer ride. I'll be riding around with a couple of Allen keys for fine-tuning.

An update after a few recent changes:
1. Previous wheels swapped for a set with XT730 hubs with Mavic MA40 rims. These are narrower and lighter. The others I've earmarked for a more utilitarian about-town build.
2. Chainrings swapped for a set from Spa Cycles. These are now round, which I prefer! And I like the black and silver on the big chainring.
3. The stem is now black. Matt black spray paint from Screwfix (really good) and some random 20 year old clear coat from the shed. Don't look too closely.

I've followed PeterPerfect's advice and fiddled with the handlebar angle and it feels great. One of the most comfortable bikes I've built. Lots more tweaks needed (cables trimming, pedals painting or swapping, different brake blocks...) but for now I'm very pleased.

P1030317b.JPG

P1030316.JPG

P1030318.JPG

An update after a few recent changes:
1. Previous wheels swapped for a set with XT730 hubs with Mavic MA40 rims. These are narrower and lighter. The others I've earmarked for a more utilitarian about-town build.
2. Chainrings swapped for a set from Spa Cycles. These are now round, which I prefer! And I like the black and silver on the big chainring.
3. The stem is now black. Matt black spray paint from Screwfix (really good) and some random 20 year old clear coat from the shed. Don't look too closely.

I've followed PeterPerfect's advice and fiddled with the handlebar angle and it feels great. One of the most comfortable bikes I've built. Lots more tweaks needed (cables trimming, pedals painting or swapping, different brake blocks...) but for now I'm very pleased.

View attachment 733377

View attachment 733378

View attachment 733379
I have a soft spot for Kogas, this looks very nice

An update, having decided that I wanted the option of drop bars as well as the riser bars I've already set it up with

Koga Miyata 30 July 2023.jpg

Nitto randonneur bars, Nitto dirt drop stem, Weinmann brakes and Shimano Dura Ace bar end shifters (8 speed so in friction mode). Not wrapped yet as I want to make sure the positioning is right before committing.

I've got a Tubus Duo rack for the front to match the rear that will go on as well.

An update, having decided that I wanted the option of drop bars as well as the riser bars I've already set it up with

View attachment 764671

Nitto randonneur bars, Nitto dirt drop stem, Weinmann brakes and Shimano Dura Ace bar end shifters (8 speed so in friction mode). Not wrapped yet as I want to make sure the positioning is right before committing.

I've got a Tubus Duo rack for the front to match the rear that will go on as well.
A lot more versatility with that frame and set up than a 2 - 3k gravel bike me thinks 🤔

The evolution continues.
The Nitto B136 bars stay (I like them a lot) but the stem was actually a bit too tall so I've replaced it with an HL stem with a removable faceplate. This is just right for height and reach and I like the facility to swap bars easily.
And the Tubus Duo rack is on. It feels rock solid and the quality shines through. The bars are wrapped so only a few little bits and bobs to do now.

koga 27 aug 23.jpg

The evolution continues.
The Nitto B136 bars stay (I like them a lot) but the stem was actually a bit too tall so I've replaced it with an HL stem with a removable faceplate. This is just right for height and reach and I like the facility to swap bars easily.
And the Tubus Duo rack is on. It feels rock solid and the quality shines through. The bars are wrapped so only a few little bits and bobs to do now.

View attachment 772651
Looks like a randonneur now.

What a lovely frameset that is.

I'd imagine it's very comfortable.

Maybe not the lightest build but quality parts and tbh, most of the lightweight stuff just doesn't look as nice and in my experience, isn't as robust.

Nice job.

Back