Koga Miyata Ridge Runner (1986)

A modicum of progress this weekend.

The replacement BB axle for the 70mm shell turned up after a long delay in the post. It did the job of allowing the lock ring to fit on to the adjustable BB cup. It's a cheap Oxford branded one and doesn't feel that smooth fitted. Not sure if use will fix that. Never mind, it allows the build to progress and can be replaced later if needed.

P1030230.JPG
A lock ring, locking

I fitted some wheels that I'd previously built using a 7 speed XT rear hub and a front dynamo hub courtesy of @Tootyred. It's a DT Swiss S'light with the smoothest bearings ever. A dynamo seems appropriate for an all-road, long distance 26" wheel tourer. The rims are heavy duty Exal ML21s from Spa Cycles with Sapim spokes.

P1030229.JPG
DT Swiss dynamo hub: a tribologist's dream

Along with the wheels and BB, the front and rear mechs, chainset and brakes are on. Current bars and stem are one option. I'll test out drops as well but need to get a 26.8mm seatpost before trying best stem options for fit.

This weekend's work took place in the kitchen because it was cold!

P1030231.JPG
Definitely needs a seatpost!

Was finding this recently in a friendly bike store. Unfortunately not for sale, being customized for a friend of theirs. Luckily not my exact size..
View attachment 686522
Very nice indeed. I wasn't familiar with these steel Terraliners: 700c wheels and typical top-quality frame. Reminds me a little of the Kuwahara Pacer, another good looking 700c machine with Ishiwata tubing.

Very nice indeed. I wasn't familiar with these steel Terraliners: 700c wheels and typical top-quality frame. Reminds me a little of the Kuwahara Pacer, another good looking 700c machine with Ishiwata tubing.
Pacers are awesome. They go for crazy money nowadays. Kuwahara is another thing i would welcome anytime in my fleet. I like the Cougar too. They have always those nice anodised stems, and cool paintjob.
Another bike popped up here recently, a Liyang with Ishiwata tubing, in VGC.
This Terraliner has bi-ovalised tubing. Ovalised and changing geo alongside the tube. Very high level of manufacturing.

The TerraRunner-Oval above is nice, but not as nice as the RetroDavy RidgeRunner. The RidgeRunner is built by Miyata, what is the case with Koga frames up to 1996. The TLO frame comes from Hodaka. The Hodaka frame is light, well made and does the job, but it does not show the same level of refinement or paint quality as the Miyata frames.

Bits and bobs of progress over the last few weeks:

26.8 mm Shimano seatpost from SJSC plus a Brooks saddle that I've had a while.

Some wide black steel handlebars with a nice pull back and rise, making for a comfy upright ride. A Strong stem, currently white but likely to be either stripped to bare alloy or painted black if it’s the right shape (first impression - it is).

SKS guards from Planet X from when they were about £7 and a second hand but unused Tubus rack on the rear.

A new SRAM chain and 7 speed cassette, plus some new grips.

Continental Travel Contact tyres

Lots more to do: trueing the wheels, cutting the mudguard stays, adding the front rack, trimming the cables, painting or sanding the stem. And then… looking at trying a Nitto dirt drop stem and drop bars with bar end shifters as an alternative bar/stem combination.

P1030234.JPG

P1030235.JPG

Back