Klein Myth V Reality

Re:

Loved the Attitude I had, light, stiff frame that really did feel like every single watt of power from your legs went straight to the back wheel. Tracking and handling was sharp, brilliant on twisty singletrack through the woods.
One of the two best retro rigid race frames I have ever ridden tbh (the other being a Pace).
"RACE" being the operative word, imo they are thoroughbred race frames and they excel at it, not sure they'd be my first choice for a long day on the trails though, can be a little harsh on the back and body after a while.

Only thing is that Klein frame sizing is a bit different to most :? And the MC1 bar/stem combo is a love it /hate it thing. Personally I prefer separate easily changed bars and stem.

Re:

Yes I am but things were going well off topic with you and Mike going tit for tat.
You'll notice I left your first 'on' topic reply.

I got to ride an attitude back in '93, a local guy had bought on back when he came back from Europe, sure looked pretty in HLF with Mag 21's (or 20 can't remember). It was only a quick ride over some rough trails and then some fire road. I don't normally like riding other peoples bikes due to, well they're not mine, so crashing (and this was easily the most expensive bike I'd ever seen at the time) and setup, take me a while to get a feel for a bike.
It was lovely, handled brilliantly, was light as anything and stiff, it just shot forward. Loved it.
You read in mags about stuff, and you just wonder how stuff would ride, I liked how my DB Apex road thought my mates Cannondale was rubbish... this just told me how there can be a next level of bike.

So for me Kleins (from my limited experience) are Ace.

Re:

My 95 Adroit with Strata fork is a great ride when I feel fit and warmed up. Then it's fast and explosive and a very rewarding ride. But it can be annoying when cold. A few weeks ago I rode a few miles in the woods on a True Temper Trek 970 from the same era as the Adroit and it delivered a very lively ride and instant fun.
Two very different bikes.
For starters I'd recommend the Trek. For only 50 pound you can have a great bike. And good looking too.
And if you want the best Klein for the money, try to find a Trek Attitude with internal cable routing and mount a good 80 mm suspension fork.

I had a gator fade rascal a while ago. I'm no racer, a recreational rider at best, and I found the ride bone jarringly harsh, so much so that casual riding around a local park for 10 mins would leave me with almost numb feet. Maybe as a race bike the stiffness translating to power is a good thing, but after such a short period of riding to cause this, no other bike I've owned has caused the same issue, Klein's aren't for me unless it's wall art.

Re: Re:

highlandsflyer":3dl283sw said:
M-Power":3dl283sw said:
London owners on Kleins bitd tended to put the thinnest slicks on them, pumped up to track bike pressures. Kind of defeated the purpose but they looked cool.

I admit that my 90 Klein Attitude is actually thin slick equiped for a road use in Pyrenean climbing. It's the more funny bike I got for road downhill ! :D

Back