Klein Myth V Reality

Having owned an early Cannondale when I got chance to buy a Klein Rascal in the early 90's I jumped at it

I rode and raced it for 3-4 years, always a little small for me, but at the time I thought the best ride, when I got chance I fitted RS Mag 21 forks to it, they were problematic and started the downfall of my love for it

Briefly went down the FS path, again with a Klein Mantra, trading in my RC100 I had been lucky enough to find to bridge the gap, soon fell out of love with the whole FS thing and bought myself a Bonty!

Talk about having my eyes opened, gone was the harsh alloy framed ride, at the penalty of a little weight, but it was like finding a new world

Never again would I regularly ride a alloy frame and to this day that fact still stands true :)

Kleins look pretty but only for sort busts of fun.... IMHO ;)

Re:

@gil - what was problematic with the rascal and mag forks out of interest? Was it simply that the forks had issues, or was it that the forks didn't suit the frame well?

My 'everyday' bike used to be my '92 Rascal fitted with the AMP F3 forks I bought off you years and years ago. I loved the ride, but got silly and it bugged me that the forks were too new for the frame...

I sold the AMPs, and fitted a set of Manitou 3 forks, which ruined the ride and I've never liked them at all - even when they 'marginally' worked like they should.

The ride changed so much for the worse that I haven't ridden it since and have instead switched to my '93 S-Works Steel (rigid) which is a stunningly good bike and ride - a definite favourite for the past few years.

However, I have fond memories of the Rascal as it was such a great quick nippy bike for a blast through the woods, and I have been toying with the idea of putting on a set of Mag20 or FSR forks (essentially the same forks) to bring it back into the mix - however, your post has got me thinking now...

Rascals (and other models) were usually fitted / raced with RS forks at the time in preference to other forks, so wondering what the issues were that you found?

Re:

Opps, thought I had got my forks wrong

They were the original run of Mag 20 forks and I never seemed to be able to get the air pressure right, either too soft and too hard and they were virtually rigid, seemed to prefer this until I blew the seals...:(

If I had popped some elastomer based forks on I'm sure I might have been a happier bunny...

Re:

The dream:

image.axd

The reality:

redding-c90-1.jpg

Re:

To be honest, a lot of the opinions on Kleins are a little harsh. Pardon the pun.

Lots of similar opinions are exhibited regarding cars like Porsches and such.

People who are really too unfit buy into their dreams and find out they are not quite as they expected.

I was riding high end Kleins at my physical peak, mid twenties and full of spunk.

Now at near fifty I am spoiled by easy living.

I find the going tough on any bike, but especially one you need to manhandle to get the best out of it.

Lots of chubby lycra clad gimps are now giving one of the cycling icons a bad name.

Ho, hum. Perhaps the prices will come down!

Re:

My rigid Attitude is great on smooth trails, you feel that every ounce of power is being used to shove you forward but long rides around the Lakes or Peaks trails batter the crap out of you. I found it a very similar ride to the RC100 and RC200 F1 I've had. Ride the same trails on my Whiskeytown Racer (which is a couple of pounds heavier) or Yo Eddy and I can usually walk the following day :LOL:
Still one of the best looking bikes (in my eyes at least) ever though.

I've had a couple through the years but both were ill-fitting and currently only have a XL Mantra which isn't really what the OP was inquiring about I don't think. My wife has an Adroit that she seldom takes because it's "bone-jarringly stiff" for where we typically ride and favors her Seven. They are definitely cool bikes but from a ride comfort perspective, their geometry and stance are intended to be raced and like many have stated, I don't do that at my age.

5j61.jpg

mr_ship":3mpn5e4y said:
My rigid Attitude is great on smooth trails, you feel that every ounce of power is being used to shove you forward but long rides around the Lakes or Peaks trails batter the crap out of you. I found it a very similar ride to the RC100 and RC200 F1 I've had. Ride the same trails on my Whiskeytown Racer (which is a couple of pounds heavier) or Yo Eddy and I can usually walk the following day :LOL:

And thats coming from a true afificionado of top end bikes :cool:

Great last post from HF :LOL: I had a Serotta T Max bitd and that was too stiff to ride rigid all day too but it was the fastest bike i ever rode. Its surprising how much energy can be sucked up and wasted riding a poorly specd/built frame, not to mention scary handling. At 50 its steel and increasingly Ti hard tails for me for long rides.

I remember a Yuppie coming in to buy a small atb for his GF from us. He had a new Tude in the back of his 911 Cab from another store. He was so impatient and insisted on ramming both bikes in the back. I can still hear the ripping of the hydraulic roof and see a chainset perforating the leather bucket seats, despite my protestations :facepalm: We had a cool dude Pro Photographer customer on another Tude. He had every purple Grafton trick bit on it, crazy light. The most memorable customer was a call girl 'carder' dude on a Rascal. His septum was gone and eyes were so sunk in his skull from snorting. He was always getting busted and fined but loved his beaten up bike.

Sorry for the rant...its funny how things trigger old memories :LOL:

We defo need more threads like this :D

Re:

M-Power":1yag861t said:
mr_ship":1yag861t said:

And thats coming from a true afificionado of top end bikes :cool:

Great last post from HF :LOL: I had a Serotta T Max bitd and that was too stiff to ride rigid all day too but it was the fastest bike i ever rode. Its surprising how much energy can be sucked up and wasted riding a poorly specd/built frame, not to mention scary handling. At 50 its steel and increasingly Ti hard tails for me for long rides.

I remember a Yuppie coming in to buy a small atb for his GF from us. He had a new Tude in the back of his 911 Cab from another store. He was so impatient and insisted on ramming both bikes in the back. I can still hear the ripping of the hydraulic roof and see a chainset perforating the leather bucket seats, despite my protestations :facepalm: We had a cool dude Pro Photographer customer on another Tude. He had every purple Grafton trick bit on it, crazy light. The most memorable customer was a call girl 'carder' dude on a Rascal. His septum was gone and eyes were so sunk in his skull from snorting. He was always getting busted and fined but loved his beaten up bike.

Sorry for the rant...its funny how things trigger old memories :LOL:

We defo need more threads like this :D

Great post! Made me laugh loudly. Wife asked me what I found so funny and I got the eye roll when I told her. :roll:

"Do you think of anything other than old bikes Jason?" As I sit in the living room putting a cool Old Man Mountain rack on my new "go to" bike.

NOPE!

Back