Kids bike recommendations?

Just to add, I do expect you to go full tinkering on this endeavour….it is the way of the retrobiker! haha

Thread 'Retro-Inspired Kona Hula'
https://www.retrobike.co.uk/threads/retro-inspired-kona-hula.439278/

Thread 'Trek MT 220 build for the boy 👦🏼'
https://www.retrobike.co.uk/threads/trek-mt-220-build-for-the-boy-👦🏼.440954/
One of them has been travelling to school on a WeeRide Pro Pilot with a carbon fibre seatpost and neon pink ODI roughnecks so there will undoubtedly be tinkering :)

Beinn 24 in red, if needed.
What's the going rate, it's older so has the curved forks, not the newer straight forks.

Think it just needs a wipe, has original and wiser mtb tyres.

I've never bothered to post a bike though.

I guess it's different in the UK, but in Germany since many kids cycle to school, they get an annual inspection by local police, and they check lights, brakes, etc. If the inspection is passed, they will get an official sticker on their bikes, which makes them super proud.

The side effect is that kids bikes are very well equipped, with full mudguards, dynamo lights, chain cover, etc and the used market is quite cheap. My kids have a Puky Crusader 20 and a Winora Dash 24, for 75€ and 50€ respectively...! Their lights are better than mine!!

An MTB like dad's is sure nice, but mostly for the parents. For the lame off road we do, they prefer their multi purpose bikes that are easier to cycle on the road...

For a retro feel then an Alpinestars T26 if you can find one........ before your kids grow too tall. Will give them the big wheel feeling like you on your 29er ;).
My 2 boys grew through Specialized bikes from the Hotwalk through until they got to 24" wheels. A couple have been new and resale was good after both had used them. Second hands ones were passed on for similar to purchase price a few years later. Eldest is now 12 on a 29er Trek Xcalibre although he did start high school in size 10 shoes o_O.

I guess it's different in the UK, but in Germany since many kids cycle to school, they get an annual inspection by local police, and they check lights, brakes, etc. If the inspection is passed, they will get an official sticker on their bikes, which makes them super proud.

The side effect is that kids bikes are very well equipped, with full mudguards, dynamo lights, chain cover, etc and the used market is quite cheap. My kids have a Puky Crusader 20 and a Winora Dash 24, for 75€ and 50€ respectively...! Their lights are better than mine!!

An MTB like dad's is sure nice, but mostly for the parents. For the lame off road we do, they prefer their multi purpose bikes that are easier to cycle on the road...
Not heard of Winora before but just had a look at the Dash 24 and it looks good. She defintely does not want a bike like Dad's. Dad's bike is "boring and silly" :)

For a retro feel then an Alpinestars T26 if you can find one........ before your kids grow too tall. Will give them the big wheel feeling like you on your 29er ;).
My 2 boys grew through Specialized bikes from the Hotwalk through until they got to 24" wheels. A couple have been new and resale was good after both had used them. Second hands ones were passed on for similar to purchase price a few years later. Eldest is now 12 on a 29er Trek Xcalibre although he did start high school in size 10 shoes o_O.
The eldest was very taken with a red Jett 24 we saw while we were on holiday so that's definitely on the shortlist.

Another Islabike Beinn 24 for sale here nice and cheap (trigger shift upgraded) if you can collect from Bristol way.

Latest posts

Back