Kids bike recommendations?

Lobjoit

Dirt Disciple
My eldest has just got too big for her Frog 55 so we're in the market for a new bike (and probably a move up from 20" to 24" wheels) so the littlest one can inherit it. Up to now they've both had a mix of secondhand Frog bikes and Islabikes but perhaps it's time to branch out? Any suggestions/recommendations of bikes to be looking out for secondhand gratefully received. We live in East Anglia so most of our off road riding is pretty sedate :)

Personally I think the CRC/Wiggle own brand Vitus is pretty good for kids bikes.

I picked up a second hand twenty that was in good nick locally for £50 (rrp is around the £200 mark).

They don’t have the branding but component wise they are very close to Isla/frog imo.

Personally I think the CRC/Wiggle own brand Vitus is pretty good for kids bikes.

I picked up a second hand twenty that was in good nick locally for £50 (rrp is around the £200 mark).

They don’t have the branding but component wise they are very close to Isla/frog imo.
Good shout, hadn't thought of those. I might even break the habit of a lifetime and stretch to a new bike at those prices (the price of the Islabike Creig 24 made me need a sit down a cup of tea) :LOL:

Good shout, hadn't thought of those. I might even break the habit of a lifetime and stretch to a new bike at those prices (the price of the Islabike Creig 24 made me need a sit down a cup of tea) :LOL:
Inflation may have pushed new 24” prices up.

There are offerings from trek mt220, kona hula and the spesh hot rock but they often come with terrible suspension forks that are heavy and don’t work very well.

An option could be a 2nd hand Isla (yes the prices are insane!) but if you're good on the tools and buy a tatty one, you could end up selling it for more than you paid for it even after they've outgrown it. I have done exactly this in the past.

Inflation may have pushed new 24” prices up.

There are offerings from trek mt220, kona hula and the spesh hot rock but they often come with terrible suspension forks that are heavy and don’t work very well.
100% agree. A neighbour donated a Trek MT220 to us a couple of years back. Our boy could just about to start to ride it now but those forks are a complete waste of time so I'll keep him on his 20" Hotrocks until I get chance to sort out the front end of that Trek out!

An option could be a 2nd hand Isla (yes the prices are insane!) but if you're good on the tools and buy a tatty one, you could end up selling it for more than you paid for it even after they've outgrown it. I have done exactly this in the past.
Prices seem slightly less insane than when she inconsiderately grew out of a bike during lockdown! We've done well in the past with tatty Islas and Frogs which mostly just needed new cables, occassionally tyres and grips. I'm dreaming of the day they're both big enough for 26" wheels - I've got enough bits in the shed to build them a few bikes each :)

100% agree. A neighbour donated a Trek MT220 to us a couple of years back. Our boy could just about to start to ride it now but those forks are a complete waste of time so I'll keep him on his 20" Hotrocks until I get chance to sort out the front end of that Trek out!
One of her friends has a Liv Enchant on which the (heavy) forks seized after two rides in the rain...

One of her friends has a Liv Enchant on which the (heavy) forks seized after two rides in the rain...
Ours has been out the garden for the past two years(???). Too many bikes in the garage... I wonder who those could belong to! ;) So I think they might have seized without the pedals even being turned! My boy has a tricked out Hotrocks that was free from my older brother so might turn it back to stock before selling and transfer some of the bits over to the bigger 24". Was looking at getting some 2nd hand Exotic carbon forks and chopping them down and re-bonding the dropouts into the legs to make a decent park of rigid forks. It's the usual time vs. money conundrum! 🤯

Back