Just bought a Trek Y bike...

Re:

Are the bushings interchangable between the different "Y's"?
I don't know.

Maybe pick up a cheapo Trek Y and swap over?
How much is a cheap one? :?: This one cost me $100. :cool:

I've some jones original tyres (from the Y3 I just picked up) that you can have first refusal on.
Thanks, but I haven't even thought about tires yet. And shipping to the US would probably be costly, so please feel free to do with them as you please.

there doesn't seem to be that much love around these parts for a Trek especially one sporting a URT
The Y bike was/is so iconic that I wanted one for a long time. I can't wait to ride it and experience the plush and bottomless suspension without a hint of pedal bob that the URT is so famous for! :mrgreen:

I never managed to find anyone willing to have a go at my Strata shock on my Orange X1 and ended up replacing it with a Alps 4r.
If Risse wasn't able to fix the Strata Shock, I was going to start looking for an old Fox like yours as a replacement. If I couldn't find one of those by the time that the rest of the bike was ready, I would have bought Risse's retro looking air shock for $200. And they even do a Y bike tune for it. :)

But I'm really glad that the original shock could be fixed as that remote compression damper lever is so unusual.

Re:

Reassembled Mars fork (black) along with my first ever suspension 2002 SX-E. Both rebuilt w/new elastomers, and seem to work just fine.

24394410579_f338e29a43_b.jpg

24466540650_d1033bc4cf_b.jpg

The Mars is a little too new for the 97 Trek, so I'll keep an eye out for 97 Judy. In the meantime, I really like the carbon arch on the Mars.

24466541980_e00e517972_b.jpg

And got this off of ebay. A slight tear on the nose that I need to fix first. I can't decide whether to put it on or go with the original.

24466543080_83ceda8c8f_b.jpg
[/url]

Re:

Update!

Risse Racing serviced the shock and I have it back. Obv, I can't tell if it works until I get the bike back together, but I'll take their word for it. ;)

I put a lot of effort into trying to find suspension bushings, especially the top hats for the swingarm. Local Trek dealers don't have any. Big Trek in Wisconsin doesn't either. Chris at Trek customer service in WI looked into it for me and tried to find some laying around or even a dimensioned drawing so I could get some made. He said that he found a couple of deformed (bent from testing) ones, and they're supposed to be in the mail. So a big thanks to him for his efforts! :D

He also says that there is very little proper documentation on much from that era, and that he/they rely on sites like this for info quite frequently! :shock:

While I couldn't locate any new tophat bushings for the swingarm, I was able to find something close for the frame - a bushing from a Gary Fisher Sugar. I was even able to snag a spare, just in case. The ID and OD are the same, its just a bit longer than the one on the Trek.

25019554842_1fd922a59b_c.jpg

Like a DU shock bushing there is a polymer/plastic lining. But the cylinder is aluminum, and there's no seam like on a DU. And the polymer lining isn't present in the center part of the bushing. Very odd! :?

24842140890_ec2dd39377_c.jpg

So, the plan is to cut a new bushing in two and remove the extra length from the middle where there is no plastic lining. I'd then put the two shortened halves into the frame with Loctite as per the service instructions. Does anyone see any horrible flaw in this plan? :?:

Also, I don't have a lathe or other means of machining metal. So I plan to use a pipe cutter (like used for copper plumbing pipe). Does anyone see any problem with doing it this way? :?:

I just realized that I never updated this thread, even though the bike was done months ago. :oops:

29302353683_dc03005e28_c.jpg

Drive Side

29845698321_ae95bb1c5b_c.jpg

Non-drive Side

29845697161_70d36c28d9_c.jpg

Main Pivot and Strata Shock

29894496776_1d518227b2_c.jpg

Busy Handlebar with Shock Damping Lever

29845695171_b335af7ac9_c.jpg

Silent Clutch Rear Hub (Replaced M737 XT Hub w/ bad freehub body)

Back