Jax's 1991 GT Zaskar project *Finished*

Re:

Oh definitely, they'll be staying gold, just a nicer metallic gold probably.
The current paint on them is quite good actually for 20+ years old - just starting to flake off around the wheel mounts and tops near the seals.

Re:

Thanks :) -Lucky to bag one off the original owner so its not been f***ed about with at all really - so should be a fairly easy project.

The Zaskar is in a new semi-naked state with only the BB, crank and deraileurs left on it.
So far, everything has come undone ok but no doubt I'll regret saying that when it comes to the BB which always make me worry - on any bike!

Also just bought some of these:

Got them to protect the painted XT levers mainly but also thought they'd be a cool bit of retro kit :)
Always a flip side though - found some perfect, new black Chill Pills on eBay, busy at the time so saved to buy later then went back and now gone :x

Re:

Current state:

Couldn't finish the strip because I need BB socket and also the tool to remove the crank caps - the latter one doesn't seem easy to find if eBay is anything to go by - any help or ideas with that tool anyone?

Re: Re:

therealjaxon":2o4op5fm said:
Current state:

Couldn't finish the strip because I need BB socket and also the tool to remove the crank caps - the latter one doesn't seem easy to find if eBay is anything to go by - any help or ideas with that tool anyone?

I use some old needle nose pliers I ground down to fit.

Re:

Not a bad idea - I could try making some at work tomorrow ;)
I was a little cautious not using the correct tools as I looked for new caps on eBay and there's only one guy selling some, they're second hand and also at least £12 a pair :eek:
Plus I don't think this crank has ever been off, so I think its all gonna be tight :|

Re:

Damn f***in bollocks :x , just cleaned up the rear mech and found its a '96 :roll:
Another part I'll have to source :| - don't think there's much of the original groupset left now! :LOL:

Re:

From memory, shimano had a small pin spanner for those caps, and it was on the other end of a chainring pin spanner. Memory is hazy. I agree though go easy on them, the holes burr easily. Back in the day as a kid I just used needle pliers also...but my caps got chewed up. Are you going to keep those decals? I reckon you should, yes the top one is a little worn, but the fact they are all still there and original, that is cool. A bit of patina is also nice on and old bike. Once you've cleaned up all the components, the decals will sit nicely against that

Re:

I get your point and tbh, its a very usable retro bike as it is. Its just the way I is ;).
The top GT All Terra ones are a tad faded, the 6061 one is almost completely gone, part of one of the Competition Series is missing and the main Zaskar ones are slightly damaged because of a Crud Catcher (I think).
I just fancy this thing looking like it rolled outta the shop 23 years ago :)
I already have my 'as is' useable retro Kona, so this is like my 'bling bike' :D

Current status.....cleaned the rear mech, front mech, chain and U brake using the parts cleaner and compressed air so they're all nice and clean and oiled.

Now in the process of sorting out the correct headset and correct rear mech from stumpjumper1990
And also awaiting the replacement crankset from benbonty - thanks for the help you two :)
Also ordered a set of original GT toe clip straps and am in the middle of pestering gm1230126 for the grips and have my eye on some black Chill Pills.

This is getting to be quite a busy project - more than I thought.

Re:

Hi Jax
Lovely bike you have there i am also in the midst of building up a 1991 zaskar as well.
I have also bought decals from Gil and for the 1991 frame the decals on the seatstay are supposed to say "GT triple triangle" not "Competition Series" which was for later models. I even went out and got into a bidding war for an original copy of the 1991 catalogue and its there plain as day
Cheers
Lord_fowl :oops:

Back