Jack Taylor Super Clubman Barn Find - * small update page 14

Re: Jack Taylor Super Clubman Barn Find - * small update page 9

Out and about this afternoon after a very productive day, one job was finishing painting that shed door Mr Panda on macretro had pointed out was a bit shabby looking. ;)
Was a great way to start the day in the lovely morning sun with a coffee and listening to a singer I like streaming a concert from back home live on facebook. Very Sunday morning :)
One job I had this afternoon was to get rid of that annoying clicking from the bottom bracket on the Jack Taylor. Originally thought it was my knees so just ignored it ;) but it gradually has worsened. So after sitting out back and stripping it all down then cleaning as much as I could from the bottom bracket, lubing, then refitting as everything seemed fine and in great condition. I ended up fitting a thin spacer to the drive side as I found that it was such a close fit with the chainring I wondered whether it could be flexing and the bolt touching every now and then, though no real marks or paint missing in any substantial way to prove this but just trying to cover all bases. I noticed when it tightened that it just didn't feel like it was fully tight if that makes any sense and this time and the previous time the drive side bolt was not tight when I dismantled.
So once back together I thought I have to test ride it so went on a very nice leisurely ride into town and around the coast to Scrabster before heading back through town then out to home. The creak is gone so hopefully will stay that way. We will see as I thought I had fixed it once before.
Hope all had a nice weekend and everyone is staying safe and healthy.

Jamie

IMG_2878 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

IMG_2884 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

IMG_2882 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

IMG_2893 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

and home!....down on the left.
IMG_2895 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

Re: Jack Taylor Super Clubman Barn Find - * small update page 10

I had to go into Thurso yesterday to pick up my axle and bearings for the new hubs so the Jack Taylor was pulled out, tyres checked and trunk bag attached, ready to go. This bike is certainly rivalling my Trucker as the go to machine as it is such a joy to ride. I am certain that it is due to this that I am lacking in motivation to finish my Mercian rebuild. I seem more than content to potter about home rebuilding hubs and wheels etc but just can't be bothered building something else similar to ride. Not at the moment anyway.
Weather was iffy when I left home so packed a long sleeve jersey as well as my rain jacket in the trunk bag just in case. Thankfully didn't need either as once I left town and headed south to do a longer loop home the weather brightened really nicely to the point I was thinking I should maybe have worn my shorts.
Once loaded up with my axle and bearings from the shop I did a quick loop of town and ended up down at the harbour with a quick photo looking over to Dunnet Head and Hoy.
I ended up heading south east out of town on the small singletrack roads and basically doing a big loop inland before coming back down onto the coast near home. It turned out such a lovely afternoon I think I could of just kept on going for a good few hours more. If we weren't still on lockdown I may well have gone a lot further but as it was I had a great ride.
I probably could have done with wearing my shorts in the end. Such a sunny warm afternoon we had a BBQ for dinner, well a sausage sizzle and then were outside in the setting sun at midnight for the solstice. Then woke up this morning to damp drizzle and misty rain. Difference a few hours makes.
Hope everyone is staying safe and had a lovely solstice.

Jamie

IMG_3122 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

IMG_3125 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

IMG_3132 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

IMG_3136 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

IMG_3138 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

IMG_3139 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

IMG_3142 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

Here is a bonus Solstice pic taken at midnight from the field next to the house looking north to the island of Hoy
solstice by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

Well back out this evening before dinner as a busy day meant if I wanted a ride I had to squeeze it in late on. Only problem was the sun had slowly been disappearing for the previous few hours and I left home under ever darkening skies. Managed to get a good few miles in headed south until I crested a hill to see the rain heading north. Luckily up here you can see it coming from a good way off. I turned and headed home, no rush as I was already getting a few drops but not hanging around either.
Very similar route out as my way home I've just noticed in the photos above. Very different looking though :)
The Super Clubman was it's usual well handling joy to ride.

Jamie

IMG_3597 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

IMG_3599 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

IMG_3600 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

IMG_3603 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

IMG_3604 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

Superb pictures and location. Peace!

Out last Sunday riding down in Ross shire with Brian for his Birthday.
Original plan was to ride up over the Bealach to Applecross for lunch but due to new Covid restrictions meant we couldn't travel together etc so I ended up driving down to his place, park outside, change shirt to jersey and ride off up into the hills on a cold autumnal morning. It was a great ride just meandering on roads that were familiar but taking deviations onto tracks and trails we hadn't been down before. We stuck mainly to quiet farm roads, singletrack paths, gravel roads and a bit of pathway through the forest and woods.
The Jack Taylor was it's usual composed and enjoyable ride regardless of the surface or terrain. Ridden within it's limits of course, but a real pleasure with the Jackie Brown tyres which are larger volume 33 but are very supple so tend to soak up any surface imperfections. The long relaxed geometry makes for a relaxing, though responsive ride on the loose stuff that is confidence inspiring.
We ended up coming off the high hills to the west of Marybank and heading back via Strathpeffer where a quick socially distanced stop to indulge in a coffee and some apple pie and warm custard to celebrate the birthday boy. I was a shortish ride from here back to Brians, though all off road so no traffic to contend with.

IMG_4033 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

12 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

1 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

IMG_3976 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

IMG_3993 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

IMG_4005 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

IMG_4007 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

IMG_4012 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

IMG_4015 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

IMG_4020 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

IMG_4022 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

IMG_4024 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

IMG_4029 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

IMG_4033 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

IMG_4035 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

3 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

5 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

10 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

11 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

Scenery looks amazing Jamie and the JT looks equally at home on and off road

Today was the first day in a while it looked like it might stay dry and so in between trying to get things out the loft to finish building the Mercian tourer for Brians big gravel ride next weekend, finish cutting and putting up the shelves in Calebs room I managed to slip out this afternoon for a couple of hours rolling around the country side on the Jack Taylor.
Lockdown has put a bit of a curb on being able to, and wanting to travel too far from home which means the large majority of my rides lately seem to be local. This means finding new routes etc to try and keep it fresh. Which is what I did today, I got to one point in my ride where on a nice quiet stretch of laneway I just thought ' what is up that dirt track straight ahead, rather than turning left?' as is usual. This led to a great shortish but steep climb up a gravel track that eventually just went to a radio mast. It was a great trying to race up this gravel and mud climb with out standing up as then I would wheel slip. The roads were damp and muddy being we've had so much rain and the farms are all working overtime getting ready for winter. Seemed to dodge the rain in a few places as would see it ahead and then find the road in front of me sodden but thankfully I managed to stay completely dry.
The Super Clubman was it's usual superb self. I can't express how nice this is to ride, so relaxed and comfortable.
Hope everyone else managed to have some decent weather and managed a ride.

Jamie

IMG_4246 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

IMG_4247 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

IMG_4249 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

IMG_4250 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

IMG_4257 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

IMG_4259 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

IMG_4266 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

IMG_4265 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

IMG_4270 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

Due to a very hectic week at work this week I didn't manage to get the Mercian ready for Brians Gravel Ride with the Highland Classic Bicycle group today. That meant that the trusty Jack Taylor was taken instead. The perfect bike for the job.
Due to the wet and wild weather this week we both knew that this was going to be a pretty sodden affair, but Brian had enough back up deviations to cover us if any sections were flooded or too boggy.
I left home around 7 am and made it to Brians just after 9 where we had a quick cuppa, I got changed in the van and so with bikes sorted we headed down to the Dingwall meeting place for just before 10. We ended up with about 11 or 12 starters, some new faces for me and some old friends not seen for a while. With everybody being respectful of personal space and observing social distancing we got a quick group photo and headed on our way in a couple of small groups and a few stragglers. (me)
Brian picked a great route that was about 95% off road and a lot of it was really muddy and slippery and while I had 33mm tyres, they were fairly smooth and 'exciting' on the clay sections that had a few inches of water sitting on them. Amongst this we had a good few hard steep climbs as well, so a bit of everything.
Despite the showers and the mudfest as well as a slow speed off from myself it was a great day out with a warming coffee and bacon roll about 2/3rds round at Strathpeffer. From there it was back to Dingwall on the usual tracks, only they were, like the rest a lot more flooded than the last time we were here.
A great day with great company. Thanks Brian.

Jamie

IMG_4280 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

IMG_4278 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

IMG_4283 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

IMG_4285 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

IMG_4289 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

IMG_4290 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

IMG_4295 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

IMG_4298 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

IMG_4302 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

IMG_4303 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

IMG_4311 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr