Is steel really real?

Re:

Not all steel is real. It can depend on a lot of factors such as the type of steel, the tube dimensions (diameters, profiling, butting etc.) geometry and also rider weight. A frame may feel light and zippy to someone who weighs 9 stone but flexy and horible to a 15 stone rider.

legrandefromage":124i5xpx said:
I had an early generation Inbred and hated it. Whats this 'modern geometry' lark btw?? Its exactly the same as many frames from the last 3 decades.

''Last years' head tube angle was so wrong, this years really brings the trails alive'' blah de blah de blah etc etc

In Cambridge, You probably can ride the same geometry for the past three decades and at least the next three to come, Hell... You could probably still roll on a penny farthing, Which with wheels sizes changing every 5 minutes may not be too far from the truth :LOL:

However, For some of us that live among the mountains and virtually never ride anywhere on the flat, Geometry makes a huge difference... Always has, always will! Agreed, I don't buy into the new season flavours every year, After all I am a retrobiker an appreciate the attributes of retro, However please don't believe for a second my '84 Conquest, '90 Explosif etc.... handle anything like my modern bikes with modern brakes, suspension and ultimately geometry to accommodate..... Different class :xmas-wink:

Ultimately it comes down to the intended use and only you can decide what that is, for £100 do it, what have you got to lose, that's the price of a decent set of tyres and the steel frame will definitely outlast the tyres and still be worth something if you don't like it........

TBH, it's not want to ride an 18 (?) year old Coyote, if it's been well used there is a good chance it's nearing the end of its useful life.

On the other hand, my inbred (26", geared) is a hateful piece of shit which i ride only under protest.
But for 100 quid, you can't go wrong.

The saying "steel is real" doesn't really work for the inbred.
"Pig iron is uninspiring" would be closer.

mattr":2r1ev2wn said:
TBH, it's not want to ride an 18 (?) year old Coyote, if it's been well used there is a good chance it's nearing the end of its useful life.

On the other hand, my inbred (26", geared) is a hateful piece of shit which i ride only under protest.
But for 100 quid, you can't go wrong.

Hmmmm, forgive the hijack but I wonder if a 29er is equally 'shite'?

mattr":214qxvm9 said:

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Yes, I wouldn't be buying an Inbred for a Steel is Real feel. Should be lots of good buys out there 2nd hand for £100. Charge Skinny Duster comes to mind if you can find one. A few Genesis frames too.

mattr":1m22gemd said:

That's why I'm hesitant about buying the new one as it not 853. BUT £100 for a new one (disc) :?

Having been around trail centre type stuff on rigid with drum brakes and up / down Peaks with nowt but steel, determination and hamster named Fred, nuts to all the marketing bull. Where the hell do you think people rode their bicycles for the last 80 years plus? Mountain biking wasnt invented last week, as much as Apple would have it that EVERYthing was new in 2015, some hard riding has been had on all manner of cycle since the long past dim and distant.

If you are fit, anything can be ridden anywhere, if not, buy a lazee bike and pretend to be a hero with yer gopro.

Back to the On-One: no.

rosset.jpg

A great bike can be made from steel, aluminium or Carbon. I own examples of all. Steel is no more real than any other material.

Kult Friction":f4vjaslj said:
legrandefromage":f4vjaslj said:
I had an early generation Inbred and hated it. Whats this 'modern geometry' lark btw?? Its exactly the same as many frames from the last 3 decades.

''Last years' head tube angle was so wrong, this years really brings the trails alive'' blah de blah de blah etc etc

In Cambridge, You probably can ride the same geometry for the past three decades and at least the next three to come, Hell... You could probably still roll on a penny farthing, Which with wheels sizes changing every 5 minutes may not be too far from the truth :LOL:

However, For some of us that live among the mountains and virtually never ride anywhere on the flat, Geometry makes a huge difference... Always has, always will! Agreed, I don't buy into the new season flavours every year, After all I am a retrobiker an appreciate the attributes of retro, However please don't believe for a second my '84 Conquest, '90 Explosif etc.... handle anything like my modern bikes with modern brakes, suspension and ultimately geometry to accommodate..... Different class :xmas-wink:

BORING, darling, BORE-RING (too much strictly I'm afraid)

Been running hydraulics since 1994, single pivot full sus since 1997, there is nothing special about anything, no wonder magic that has been squirted into modern frames, just marketing crap. Once you let that bandwagon go, you can relax and ride a bicycle anywhere you want without worrying that it will explode or turn into a newt. Very early MTB was copied from those that wanted to go down very quickly. Those that wanted to go up quickly realised that this wasnt a good way to get about so before MTB went all silly, some very decent riding iron was made that can hold its own even if it happens to celebrate its 30th anniversary next year.

As for an aluminium frame only having a finite lifespan, dont start that crap again!

Back