Is a boost spec qr frame/wheel a thing?

ishaw

Gold Trader
GT Fan
Feedback
View
I'm looking at pulling the trigger on s frame on here for a build for my son. It's apparently a boost spec frame but with qr rear axle. I didn't know such a thing existed, and that all boost frames were through axle?

I don't want to land myself in a world of pain trying to source a boost qr rear wheel (well set of wheels) if they aren't common or even exist.

Please educate me.

Thanks, I did some research and found the same. Strange that despite it being longer, it's referred to as 141 when boost is 148. Strange.

The only option I can find is an adapter insert on standard boost wheels, not ideal.

Thanks, I did some research and found the same. Strange that despite it being longer, it's referred to as 141 when boost is 148. Strange.

Boost rear was a term for moving flange spacing 6mm wider to increase spoke triangulation. On thru axle this meant 142 to 148 and qr went 135 to 141.

I've built quite a few wheels with Bitex hubs in the 141mm qr format. It's a product that's well supported. I think you can also convert hope 148mm × 12mm hubs by switching out the end caps.

Thanks for the info. I'm in two minds as to buy the frame or not. I'd need to buy some boost wheels, then some adapters. I do have a few adapters for Mavic wheels that are inserts into the 12mm axle. These could work, as could a full axle insert I've seen online.

I was very up for buying the frame until I found it had this qr boost spacing. It would be a build I don't really need to do as I have a 27.5er I've already done for my son, but 27.5 seems to be losing its way to 29ers so was toying with a new build. Worth it or not?

Not. Bargain frame not a bargain if you need to buy a load of stuff to make it work.
You’ve got a build already and no way will your son notice the difference between wheel sizes.

Not. Bargain frame not a bargain if you need to buy a load of stuff to make it work.
You’ve got a build already and no way will your son notice the difference between wheel sizes.
Thanks, that's the way my brain is heading. He may just have to cope with a 1x11 xt, magura, crossmax, revelation shod bike then (it was originally built for me but I knew the frame would be too small but like a lot of things, if I buy them and they don't fit me, they will fit him.

To add to what others have said.. I only heard of this last week. It’s been out for years apparently. That said it all for me.

Back