Frame choice for a set of Royce wheels

ishaw

Gold Trader
GT Fan
Feedback
View
I had some success at the weekend, the u13 football team I manage clinched the division title with 2 games to spare (not bad for only our 2nd season), and my son who also plays in that team capped off being called up to the school b team played a blinder, scored and made thet call up permanent. I decided to celebrate buy buying a set of wheels from here, Royce MTB disc hubs, rather nice they are.

I now have the quandary of what to fit them too. I didn't think that far ahead.

I only have a couple of suitable candidates in the stash really, looking for advice on whether they are worthy or if I should look for something else.

I like the idea of trying to keep it Brit where possible build wise, so that's likely to mean Middleburn cranks (I have some skewers too), hope disc brakes and hope or use kit.

Wheels are very shiny silver hubs, haven't had much in the way of silver parts in a while, I want the build to look as good as the wheels once done.

So, on to the frames I have.

Pipedream Scion 853 steel in grey. Currently built up but haven't ridden in a while, but really like the ride. Not sure it will wear silver hubs well due to colour but could be wrong.

Cove hummer. May be a little small for me though. Haven't built it up to confirm.

Litespeed obed FS. A retro ti full Susser built around the amp rear end, which is shiny silver so may look good.

Rock lobster team ti. Should be the right size. Does a ti frame wear silver nicely?

Left field option, a disc converted GT RTS. Properly done with brake bosses removed and cable guides added and bush to bearing conversion.

Could include a GT lightning, but it would have to wear an a2z adapter as no disc mounts.

Or something else, and if so, what? I'm struggling to picture in my mind how the hubs will play visually with things, and also what frame options would be suitable for such wheels.

Yes, I'm probably focussing on aesthetics, over thinking and definitely over spent on the wheels with money I didn't really have so looking for some sage advice on building a bike around a set of wheels, I usually start with a frame.

Congrats on the win. I like the idea of a British build, the only British frame on the list is the Pipedream, I think? The grey colour will help to combine silver and black parts in my opinion, so I would go for that. Always nice to have a Royce wheelset anyway, I would like one myself.

I'd be looking at something not in your existing list if you're looking at a brit-kit build.

Depending on budget (and assuming something might need to be sold to raise funds) I'd be looking for something classy and Steel - so Roberts would be a consideration.

I'm obviously a P7 fanboy too, and around 98 they got rear disc tabs. Frames can be picked up really quite cheaply, and resprays aren't silly money. Always look good with an RC31 or something bouncy from Yorkshire.

I did a brit kit build on my P7 S/S and it's a lot of fun. Not period correct, but mostly British.

As for building a bike around wheels, that's positively sane. I'm planning a whole build to justify using some USE bars and bar-ends!

Thanks, the pipedream is a Brit brand and is pretty Brit built already and a nice steel frame too. I should fit some pace forks and swap the cranks for middleburns to get all but the gearing Brit, as the rest is use and hope already, Inc wheels. I may give the wheels a try and see how they look. They would be replacing some hope pro 2/717s. I have some middleburns I could add, and some pace rc41s, though they need a service. Probably cheaper to do that than spend on a new frame I suppose.

Back