Introduce myself here?

cowardly lion

Retro Newbie
I suppose it is cool to have a bike that qualifies as retro, but I'm afraid it shows my age when I can say I bought it new in 1989 and it wasn't my first! I started riding in the mid 80's on a 40 pound department store klunker. Bent rims seem to be the catastrophe du jour almost every ride but fortunately I was aquainted with someone who actually worked for the store so warranty was claimed often and proffered willingly. Nevertheless, it was determined that this bike was unsuitable for actual off road use and it was passed along to a deserving individual. I then purchased a Rocky Mountain Sherpa, which I rode for several years. It served me well and demonstrated the benefits of higher quality wheels and components. I dumped the faithful Rocky when I fell in love with the Off Road Toad in 1989. I ordered this bike over the phone from Vancouver built and equipped entirely to my specification. It was and still is a great bike. Naturally I have had to replace a number of components over the years such as bottom brackets, headsets, derailleurs and such. I even switched to the apparently uncool Gripshift when the thumbies gave out. Sacrilege! It has been working for me though. I have been tempted to buy a suspended bike for a few years but the fact is the Toad is a better bike than I am a rider so I find it hard to justify. That, and my taste in bicycles tends toward the expensive end of the scale. Also I am just to old and lazy to ride much I guess. Short on cash, too. Therefore, the toad is my one and only, except for my road bike, but that is a different topic.

Hi - there's one or two here with Offroad Toad's (Jez-2-Many-Bikes being one). I don't... :D

Welcome....

Hi there! Yes by all means - get your Toad up here. Need to see a picture!

Is it green? I'm thinking of getting mine sprayed in the Toad green as its a metal flake black at the moment. Just trying to get the correct colour match though is a nightmare as these bikes are so rare...

off road toad colour

My Toad has 'Toad Camo' paint. It looks the same as the one in the Feb. '89 issue of Mountain Bike Action magazine. Curiously, John Deere green and yellow paint is almost dead on accurate and I have used them for touch ups from time to time. I may have to dig it out of the shed where it was unceremoniously tossed upon a pile of plywood for the winter. I will post some pics once I get it cleaned up and it warms a bit outside so I can take some!

Back