Internet through the TV

legrandefromage":22x6jxq3 said:
But its all buggered if your internet is barely 1.8meg at best.

The whole internet thing speed wise is a complete joke.
I pay for 20 mbs but it was a new line and im 80 yards as the crow flies from the exchange so i usually sit on about 16mbs
Upload which as far as im aware is the more important measurement of the 2 relating to a smooth clear line when watching vids ,gaming etc and of that its about 0.8mbs

EVERY SINGLE FKING YOU TUBE VID BUFFERS even at 3am when its clear there are few using the line.
Which means theres more to it than that.
Late at night RB can take maybe 4 minutes to load a page

I can pick up a new line by restarting the modem but it shouldnt be throttled which is exactly what theyre doing :evil: :evil:

Comparing the internet speed today the first of the new year 2015 with the mid to late 90's i can see there is very little difference in speed. Admittedly pics are considerably quicker but overall theres not been that great an advance.

One thing i have noticed that is a comparable speed is the computer itself.
Back in the mists of time i started with a pentium 2 and i think a few hundred megs of ram and a passive 32mb graphics card. im now sitting with(admittedly 5 years out of date) dual core athlon@3.5ghz 3gb ram and a9800gtx black edition overclocked all bells and whistles and i cant see any real difference. Most things the computer does, it does in about the same time as it did in 2000.
OK the graphics in games has gone through the roof visually speaking but other than that(which drives computer development forward)

This unfortunate loss of live TV has if anything put things into perspective. Maybe i should just bite the bullet and install sky or virgin, fiber optic if available and maybe a new system too :?

BIKE COMPARISON to keep you all content :)

Its like the bike in the shed. Nothing wrong with it really but.....

If you're connecting at 16Mbps then you have by todays uk standards a damn fast line connection.

If it's buffering or there is delay then something in your setup from wherever you are typing/watching to the ISP is fucked.

Connect the TV and see if it happens on that.

If so get on the phone to your ISP.

I have a much slower connection and throughput is about 5 to 6M and have no problem streaming youtube, Amazon Instant and iPlayer in HD unless the kids start doing the same.

Big data downloads bring the connectino to a hault, just because I have not shaping/priorities setup in house.

Upload is mostly meaningless unless you are skyping, gaming or torrenting. If you look around now most of the packages that were advertised as 21 meg have been downgraded to 16 not because any capabilities have changed but because no one was getting it and they want to push those who can get it onto Fibre. I was getting 17 on my 21meg when I was a similar distance to you. Getting much more on fibre at a higher price of course!

If you are getting buffering at 16mbps you have another problem - internally possible a wireless network issue externally probably contention on the line or at the exchange which is related to how many other people are sharing your line or the backhaul at the exchange. If it's a fairly isolated exchange this could be the problem.

Check your TV doesn't have a wireless network dongle built in, otherwise you need to run a LAN cable from your Broadband Router to your TV, you can't 'double up' withe computer lan cable without another bit of kit so 2 cables from the router is the easiest but messier option if your TV doesn't have WiFi. Longer term you can find out if your TV has WiFi dongle for it, be careful as it will probably be a specific type for your TV. You might be able to find one on eBay.

For a connection from your computer you would probably need a HDMI cable if it's only 4 years old. Have a check on Google images search for a HDMI socket picture to be sure. You would also benefit from a wireless mouse and keyboard.

The Google TV/ Chrome cast dongle is worth a look if you have an android phone or tablet - you should easily be able to 'cast' the image on the phone to your TV screen. bear in mind you may have to have a little power supply for the dongle so it may look a bit ugly sticking out of the side of your TV.

Re:

If your router has wifi use it to get up and running, once you have a decent lan cable use that instead.
If you don't have either option call your ISP and demand an upgrade.

Speeds have moved on massively since the 90s. My phone is faster than PCs were generally back then. Broadband is a different realm nowadays, streaming ultra HD movies now is normal. It really is a different world.

You bought a decent set, it would be a shame to resort to treating it like a dumb barge.

dyna-ti":irapxd0l said:
I can pick up a new line by restarting the modem but it shouldnt be throttled which is exactly what theyre doing :evil: :evil:

Sounds like their throttling/shaping profiles are being applied wrongly.

Unless you have reached this months download limits you should see different throttling behaviours for differing online content (i.e. Surfing RB vs watching YouTube)

The other explanation is that you have a heavy torrenter on your exchange who is soaking up all the the available bandwidth late at night - possibly as a timed activity.

The most common way to induce the behaviour you describe in your own home is to have a bittorrent client or similar running in the background. One classic way to get the symptoms you describe is to max out the upload speed of your connection (which has a major knock on effect on your download speeds). Usually only a torrent or HD video calls are enough to do this - assuming at 3am its only you active in the house. If the wife/kids/others have a laptop or PC it may also be worth ruling them out by making sure they are switched off.

FTTP. Seriously, it's the only way...

(Hyperoptic Broadband - 1 Gigabit Up & down...)

For streaming live Tv in an emergency, or when abroad, try Filmon.com

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    22.8 KB · Views: 156
Re:

It is all very well to talk about massive speeds in the big cities, but out here in the fields the infrastructure is the problem.

I say problem, but do we really want idiots on tablets clogging up every square foot of our countryside?

Re: Re:

highlandsflyer":2md7xu66 said:
It is all very well to talk about massive speeds in the big cities, but out here in the fields the infrastructure is the problem.

I say problem, but do we really want idiots on tablets clogging up every square foot of our coutryside?

Correct - FFTC (fibre to the cabinet) remains a dream for a lot of people (22% of households according to OFCOM) let alone FTTP (fibre to the premises).

Back