Internal gears

Made in Hungary schwinn, I couldn't resist the colour and the fact that it had a lot of bits with a little patina, excited to get it klunkin

Are there pictures of this mythical beastie? Sounds like you are playing in my sandbox now. I've been planning an internal geared hub built on an old Canadian frame. Do you plan to use pedal actuated braking in the hub, or will it be rim brakes?
New product choices are available
In the front I'm not sure yet. Hub brakes could be an option, but I was thinking to get a segmented fork for it sometime, then run v up front. But yeah until then probably drum up front and coaster in the back

My main issue with coaster braking on trails is foot position, you can't simply back pedal to place your feet where you want them. It just requires a little bit of thinking in advance and eventually you adjust to it. The other is modulation, coasters like to lock up, which will really mess up the track and make enemies of trail builders

My main issue with coaster braking on trails is foot position, you can't simply back pedal to place your feet where you want them. It just requires a little bit of thinking in advance and eventually you adjust to it. The other is modulation, coasters like to lock up, which will really mess up the track and make enemies of trail builders
I agree, there are some severe limitations when it comes to off-road comfort. No way around that. Where I live, in Denmark, I ride mostly flowy single-track and gravel/fireroads. So I think it'll be okay, but I honestly wouldn't want to ride coasters like fellas did in the mountains, I'm too much of a chicken and sucker for comfort. But I like the simplicity, and they are incredibly functional brakes that just work, albeit at the cost of actual modulation and, as mentioned, pedal comfort.

The goal is to make it a main rider though, so it may change as time go on.

I'm actually going to be running a single speed coaster hub at first, then branch out into gears when I finally find some. I may have to pester the man of history who offered earlier in the thread.

May I see the Canadian frame you're going to be building up with internal gears?

A second opinion, in no way lesser, would be a CCM double bar.
20w-1.jpg
Probably a cooler frame, tbh, but I don't have the same nostalgia for it. Plus it's much taller, would make a better gravel bike.

Did I just start another internal gear build?🤦‍♂️

They look awesome, both of them. Will respond in detail, at the summerhouse. Probably will quote it into the drinking thread so we can continue there as it's my home turf and we love all wonders of bikes, recently it was tall bikes being discussed, now we can finally go full klunk mode

I rode bikes with coaster brakes in the city where I used to live, and fast in busy traffic. You can learn to use them. I never felt I needed more. Although given a choice I would go with drum brakes off road. They dissipate heat much better. They are just so well built. The newer Chinese stuff is not as good, the bearings apparently wear out quick.

IMG_20220802_131608.jpg
Would you believe that this modern beach cruiser was a bin find? I added the brown grips, tyres and saddle, and upgraded from a crummy axle-hanging derailleur to a 7 spd nexus hub with coaster brake. I also went overkill on the front brake with an XT parallel V-Brake, because it was silver and not committed to any better(more worthy) purpose.
I'm just looking for some shiny retro rat trap pedals to finish it off.

Back