Can it be saved?

ishaw

Gold Trader
GT Fan
Feedback
View
I've always liked the look of the wishbone stays on the Saracen Kili range.

I finally picked one up by way of eBay

Ad pics were terrible and previous owner thought at some point it was a good idea to swap out anything that was original with utter crap components such as pressed tin v brakes, tourney or worse bits elsewhere.

It was frame and a few bits, so thought I'd be able to correct their errors. Everything other than a brake arm came off easily which was actually a surprise.

Frame has numerous chips, scratches but not too bad, original segmented forks are in decent shape. Shame as the colour is great but will need a respray or at least some sympathetic touching up.

However, one error I can't correct, and one that baffles me. The BB and chainset were not the right size and a ring has slowly chopped away at the stay, leaving a hole. I'm not sure who 8n their right mind fitted this combo, or after a turn of the cranks, didn't realise their mistake but there we go.

So, is it salvageable? Danson thinks so but what do you all think.

Even more annoying is that it's going to be too small for me I think, with it being 17.5 c2c, 19 c2t and a 22.5 top tube.

Attachments

• PSX_20230723_235348.jpg
    PSX_20230723_235348.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 112
  • PSX_20230723_235402.jpg
    PSX_20230723_235402.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 96
  • PSX_20230723_235421.jpg
    PSX_20230723_235421.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 102
Undoubtedly salvageable but whether it's worth the financial outlay is another matter. I'd say no, unless it's a frame you'd really like to get built up and will get use from. Seeing as it's too small I'm still learning more towards: not worth the effort.

Reactions: CTK
the correct way to fix that is an entire new tube. scary cost, not worth it and no one is going to do that.

the less correct way to fix that is to let in a new piece of steel. semi scary cost and needs actual skills not just a one pump chump with a hot glue gun. worth it if you really want it.

the really wrong way to fix that is it fill it with weld. not so scary cost but I'll bet they'd still charge you the earth. the frame isn't going to snap under normal loads, it will look ok but you'll know (and so will we).

and final, we have the cheap way of fixing it, wrap it in aluminium tape and move it on say it's a chain stay protector. don't do this.

is it worth fixing. nar, not if you are paying for it. if you've got the kit to fix it at home though, yer crack on. :)

As per the above. Everything can be fixed; but everything has a price. Won't be an economical repair to replace the tube and respray.

Agree with the above. Various ways to fix it but there's little point if it's too small.

I'd sell it on as is as I reckon any fix will cost more than you will get back so pointless.

Reactions: CTK
I think I would get it fixed if afterwards I could ride it, but at 6ft this is going to be too cramped.

One saving grace is I suppose the hole is at a point that the stay has support, but I'd not entertain a dodgy repair. I think a patch of metal as per some chainstays for added ring clearance would be the way to go, replacing any dodgy metal in that area.

I reckon a long stem and you'll be fine. What length top tube do you normally use?

On the other hand you'll find another in better condition for less than the cost of the work so...

Return it to the seller. If someone sells a bike there is surely some expectation it is rideable.
It wasn't a whole bike, just frame and bits. To be fair to the seller, he seemed unaware, apologetic and compensated me so I've no beef there, just gobsmacked at the ineptitude of the crank and BB fitting.

Back